The Social Work program is designed to equip students with a thorough undergraduate knowledge of social work theories and concepts. It teaches majors the skills that will allow them to conduct sound social work research, and prepare them to meet the challenges of graduate school or the demands of the labor market upon graduation. The Social Work Curriculum also assists majors in developing and understanding their role in helping those in society who are in need of assistance.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major social work theories and concepts.
- Demonstrate the ability to use statistics to interpret data and verbalize their meanings using language germane to social work and the social sciences.
- Write research papers that will reflect a thorough understanding of social work theory and research methodology.
- Demonstrate communicative skills by presenting research to an audience of social sciences faculty members, students, and other disciplinary scholars.
SOCIAL WORK LEARNING COMPETENCIES: GUIDED BY THE COUNCIL ON SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION (CSWE)
The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards require that all social work students develop ten competencies.
The ten (10) competencies are:
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct oneself accordingly.
- Apply for social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
- Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments.
- Engage diversity and differences in practice.
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice.
- Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research.
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
- Engage in policy practice to advance the social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work services.
- Respond, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
Requirements for Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
Complete a total of 122 credit hours of coursework for graduation.
About the School
Since1869, Dillard University has been committed to providing students with a quality four-year liberal arts education. Dillard is a fully accredited private, historically black university. In 2010, U ... Read More