The Department offers a full-time three-year Bachelor’s Degree Course in line with the Russian Federal Standard and MGIMO Standard of Higher Education in «Linguistics». The program intake is 25 students, classes commence in Fall 2018.
What Is the Program About?
The program is designed to prepare future professionals in Russian Culture, History and Area Studies capable to communicate effectively in a cross-cultural environment in the changing world.
Starting their studies in English, students gradually acquire profound knowledge of the Russian language which becomes a key to the first-hand understanding of the country’s culture and values.
Linguistic terminology and specific language skills acquired by our students enable them to easily analyze and create professional and media texts, read “behind the lines” and deduce culturally marked background information.
Who Can Apply for the Program?
English speaking students are invited to apply for the program, where they will gain skills to overcome cross cultural barriers and advance their knowledge in the field of Russian studies through learning and practical usage of the Russian language.
What Are Career Opportunities for the Program Graduates?
MGIMO graduates are sought by employers internationally and the career prospects for a successful B.A. student at MGIMO are excellent. Among them:
- Expert on Russia Area Studies
- Cultural Consultant/Communicator/Negotiator
- Linguistic Analyst in Professional and Media Discourse
- Cross-Cultural Communication Manager
- Russian Language and Culture Instructor
The program graduates can work in business, government or industries as experts on Russian Area Studies, Culture and History. They can also specialize in translation and interpretation or teaching Russian as a foreign language. Research in Linguistics or Guiding Business are also the options. An internship is organized with MGIMO partners that function in banking, Oil and Gas, government and culture sectors.
Upon graduation, students are expected to be proficient in at least one foreign language other than Russian and their native tongue.
B.A. graduates may apply to join MGIMO graduate programs taught in English, dual-degree M.A. programs, or a wide variety of M.A. programs at MGIMO University or other Russian universities taught in Russian.
Where Is Mgimo-Odintsovo Campus Located?
The Campus is situated to the West of Moscow, near Rublevka area, 35 min drive from the Center of Moscow in the ecologically friendly environment with a developed infrastructure. The outstanding most modern facilities of the Campus include an innovative Sports Complex and the Hotel.
- Russian Area Studies and Cross-cultural Communication
- Russian History and Culture/Arts
- Teaching Russian to the Speakers of Other Languages
- Interpreting and Translation
Our students benefit from unique opportunities of the original Tele-Communicative Projects Tasks they receive as a number of courses are taught jointly by MGIMO University and University of Georgia (USA) professors in accordance with the Cooperation Agreement between MGIMO and University of Georgia (UGA) (http://english.mgimo.ru/news/university-of-georgia).
The course duration is 3 years and the degree awarded is a BA.
The course is multi-disciplinary, practical and global, exposing its students to cutting-edge interpretations of the current international trends in Russian Area Studies, Linguistics, and Cross-Cultural Communication.
Who Teaches the Program Courses?
Our tutors and lecturers are experienced in participating and implementing academic and cultural exchange programs, lecturing at Russian, American and British Universities.
The University of Georgia and other visiting professors are also involved in design and teaching of the Russian Cultural Studies program.
Former politicians, diplomats, businesspeople, and experts in other professional fields share with students their knowledge.
The Program brings together some of the most important approaches to understanding modern tendencies in Area Studies and Linguistics. It gives a spectrum of opinions on Russian Cultural Studies, Interpreting and Translation, Russian Foreign Policy etc., with a curriculum drawn from across the University’s divisions.
Tuition Fee, Deadlines, Age Requirements
Tuition fee: 650000 RUR for Russian nationals; 8200 EUR for non-Russian nationals per academic year. Russian VAT not applicable. Possible bank commissions or other surcharges of third parties are not included. Campus 4* Hotel Accommodation is available.
Deadline for application: August 31st, 2018.
- Eligible applicants will be invited to video interviews by email if necessary.
- Admission results publication: September 2018.
Age requirements: admission to MGIMO University is based upon academic merit and potential. MGIMO bears the responsibility for safeguarding children under Russian laws, so a parent/custodian will be notified of an offer of admission made to anyone who will be younger than 18 years of age at the time of registration as MGIMO student.
How to submit an application?
Please mind and follow these 10 rules:
- Contact us ONLY using these e-mail addresses: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the "Message Subject" field please write "Application" and mention the candidate's surname.
- Indicate how we can address you in your message (name, surname). In case you represent the interests of an applicant (your child, relative, friend, etc.), please make sure we understand that.
- Attached files must be in the MS Word (DOC) or Adobe Acrobat (PDF) formats.
- Attached scans and/or pictures must be in PDF or JPG formats.
- Please choose an appropriate name for each attached file (for example diploma, CV, transcript, etc.).
- Do not send us your documents by regular mail and never send us originals as we are unable to return them to you. Provide only high-quality scans via e-mail.
- Please be informed that the processing of your inquiries usually takes 5 to 15 business days. We will get back to you shortly with any updates regarding the status of your application.
- Do not wait until the very last day to submit your application. As soon as your application is ready, send it to us.
- To be eligible for assessment, your application must be submitted before the deadline. Once you have sent us your application, you will not be allowed to modify it. Nevertheless, you may send your application materials in batches, but make sure that we receive the last batch before the deadline. If your application is not complete by the deadline and/or submitted after the deadline, we will be unable to process it.
Your application should be supported by the following documents:
- High school diploma and/or leaving examination certificate(s), if you already have received it. If not, you will need to send it to us as soon as you receive it from your school. Once admitted, you will have to present the originals of these documents during registration as an MGIMO student and undertake (1) notarial certification of the translation of your application documents into the Russian language and (2) nostrification, or approval of your documents by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation. The University will provide all the necessary assistance to pass these procedures smoothly. Please note that the nostrification procedure is not necessary for citizens of the countries that have signed agreements on recognition and equivalence of diplomas with the Russian Federation, though additional conditions may apply based on a particular treaty.
- Photo of an applicant (at least 300 dpi; by e-mail). ATTENTION: eight printed photos 3x4 cm (matte with white background only; black & white or color) will have to be submitted upon your admission and arrival at our campus.
- CV/Résumé (no specific template to follow).
- Motivation letter (personal statement), up to 1,000 words.
- Academic and/or professional references (at least two). Please do not collect references yourself. Provide us with names, e-mail addresses, and other contact information of your referees, and we shall reach out to them separately. Please ask your referees to prepare reference letters so that we could collect them on a short notice.
- English language test certificate (International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) academic test with a total score of 6.0 and 5.5 in each of the components; and/or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 80 and 20 in each of the four skills). We also recognize the value of practical experience, so please talk to us if you do not meet the academic criteria above as each application is judged on its merits. Language groups of different levels will be formed to meet the students’ requirements.
- Photocopy of your ID: passport or ID card.
Program taught in: