The curriculum in Music equips students with a solid musical foundation, as well as skills and knowledge necessary to enter graduate school and professional programs. Students will be prepared for a career in entertainment industries, professional careers in church music ministry, and music performance. The program offers a learning-centered approach in two concentrations, Music Industry and Voice Performance, which allows graduates to excel in their professions. Music majors have the opportunity to perform on campus, to be a part of the renowned Dillard University Choir, collaborate with the Theatre Department and work in partnership with churches in the community and around the country.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Undertake entrepreneurial ventures in music, art and entertainment industries.
- Demonstrate preparedness for graduate study in music and function effectively in a global society.
- Demonstrate competence in ethical decision-making that contributes to community improvement and to the students’ own leadership development.
- Demonstrate competent analytical decision-making and undergraduate research, and use of technologies in music art and entertainment industries.
- Jazz Band
- University Concert Choir
Requirements for Bachelor of Arts in Music - Voice Performance
Complete a total of 124 credit hours of coursework for graduation.
Voice Performance majors must:
- Perform at least one Midday Recital program each semester of enrollment. Attendance at all departmental recitals is mandatory.
- Attend studio classes as scheduled throughout the semester by the applied instructor.
- Participate in a recital during the junior year (MUS 300).
- Enroll in MUS 400 and present a one-hour recital during the senior year. This recital is the exit examination for the degree program. The recital must be performed on the principal instrument of study.
- Present a junior and senior recital.
- Participate in an ensemble each term of enrollment for a total of 8 semesters.
About the School
Since1869, Dillard University has been committed to providing students with a quality four-year liberal arts education. Dillard is a fully accredited private, historically black university. In 2010, U ... Read More