- Duration (years): 4
- Qualification Awarded: International Relations and European Studies (BA, 4 years)
- Level of Qualification: 1st Cycle (Bachelor’s Degree)
- Language of Instruction: English
- Mode of Study: Full-time and part-time are both possible.
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 240
Profile of the Programme
This programme is intended to be an academic programme, oriented at developing the intellectual skills of students to enable them to enter into a broad range of careers and enable them to continue with their education at the next level.
The BA programme in International Relations and European Studies aims to provide broad and comprehensive knowledge of the political, social, economic and legal environment which conditions and affects the practice of international and European relations.
The programme objectives are:
- Introduction to the main theoretical debates in International Relations and European integration.
- Examination of the key features of the modern European and international systems, including analysis of state power, systems of governance, laws and norms, foreign policy, diplomacy, conflict, security, nationalism, as well as the role of international governmental and non-governmental organizations and European institutions.
- Examination and analysis of the current issues and challenges of European and international politics.
- Provision of knowledge and skills necessary for employment in areas such as government, multi-national corporations, and international organizations.
Graduates of this programme go on to work in many different positions, both in the public sector, as well as the private sector.
The majority of our graduates have gone on to continue their studies at the University of Nicosia and other universities. Students generally choose to further their studies in International Relations, whereas others opt to pursue an MBA.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Second Cycle degrees (Master’s Degree).
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 240 ECTS and all programme requirements.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
On completion of this programme, the student will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the main issues and theoretical debates in International Relations.
- Engage in debates about the major actors and institutions in global politics.
- Discuss developments, rules and prevalent values of the modern international system.
- Analyse power structures, biases, and inequalities of the modern international system.
- Utilise multidisciplinary theories in explaining, analyzing and critically approaching Europe as a field of study.
- Design research concerned with the processes and problems of integration as well as Europe’s historical, political, social, economic and cultural development.
- Readily deal with the European Union’s institutional structure and its major policy initiatives.
- Analyse current European affairs and challenges.
- Illustrate the ability to communicate in writing and orally on issues in European affairs and international relations and be able to organize the available time and cope with deadlines.
- The report in the English language both orally and in a written format a high level of competence.
- Illustrate the ability to continue learning in a self-directed manner and work on an academic level within the intended professional field.
- Use libraries, bibliographical material and academic research in an efficient manner.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 17, 2018