- Duration (years): 4
- Qualification Awarded: Bachelor of Arts in Interior Design
- Level of Qualification: Bachelor Degree (1st Cycle)
- Language of Instruction: English (First and second-year courses offered also in Greek)
- Mode of Study: Full-time or Part-time
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 240
Profile of the Programme
The Interior Design course provides students with a comprehensive set of skills to prepare for a career in interior design. The course provides a strong grounding in key conceptual and technical aspects of spatial design, develops creative thinking, self-expression and a capacity for independent learning.
Furthermore, the programme focuses on the interior design studio and encompasses courses in other subject areas such as history and theory, technology, environment and visual communication. Various electives are included in each year to ensure students receive a well-rounded academic base that will enhance both their personal and professional development.
An interior designer analyses needs, integrates findings with knowledge of interior design, formulates design concepts, develops and presents design recommendations, prepares working drawings, collaborates with other licensed practitioners, prepares and administers contract documents and evaluates design solutions. Therefore, what one does within the field of interior design depends on his/her area of interest and design speciality. One may be employed by an interior design or architectural firm, a retail store, or a design division of a corporation or institution. One may decide to be self-employed and work out of his/her own studio.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Second Cycle degrees (Master’s Degree).
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 240 ECTS and all programme requirements.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
- Apply essential notions, principles, theories and concepts in the design process.
- Research appropriate material and analyse the structure and content of material through written and drawn documents.
- Analyse and integrate information from various subject areas in a way that information becomes a creative interaction of data within both written presentations and design projects.
- Analyse design and programmatic scenarios, develop methods of abstracting and conceptualising notions, and apply problem-solving methods.
- Create, review and critique both written assignments and project proposals. Be aware of how to utilise a critical thinking process as part of the project development process.
- Use visual communication skills such as sketching, model making, workshop techniques, computer skills, drafting, photography, perspective drawing. Demonstrate competent use of written and oral communication skills
- Prepare time management plans, organise information and apply a hierarchy structure to information in written and drawn work.
- Rate and be in tune with current developments in the discipline to continue individual professional development.
- Work effectively as a member of a team.
- Utilise and be guided by social, ethical, environmental, professional and cultural issues involved in the design field.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programmes.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.