Through this plan, we seek to prepare you for any future that demands competence in literature, language, and writing. Our plans help you recognize the importance of logical thought in effective expression. They also help you strive for more persuasive or creative uses of English and appreciate the truth and quality of literature.
By studying the literature of different times and peoples, you can develop your historical and cultural imagination. Our plans can also prepare you to teach English in middle and senior high schools, pursue careers in the corporate world, and compete successfully in graduate and professional schools.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in English?
The study of English is more than just literature. Critical reading skills are crucial in any job, and writing skills are in demand from employers in many fields. You can apply the broad nature of the English degree to many arenas, including education. An English degree will also prepare you for graduate study, excellent rhetorical skills are a must in the law profession, and communication skills are vital in fields like counseling and advertising.
You'll enjoy our English department for many reasons--strong undergraduate degree programs, outstanding faculty, a wide range of courses, and more. Our friendly, mountain-town setting gives you the support you need to succeed. You can focus on creative writing, English education, general English studies, linguistics, literature, technical writing, or rhetoric.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Public relations
- Secondary teaching
- Web design
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More