About the Programme
The BA programme in English & American Studies is designed to provide students with a wide knowledge of English-speaking cultures, primarily those of the UK and the USA, and their societies, history, language and literature. In the first stage of their studies, students receive intensive English language training and complete introductory courses in literature, culture, and linguistics. The programme offers applied subjects, such as English as a Foreign Language, Academic English, Academic Composition, Academic Writing, Sociolinguistics, and Second Language Acquisition. All students are required to write a BA thesis.
In the course of the programme the main focus is on developing skills of reading and developing a critical understanding of academic and scholarly texts, writing basic texts on general and academic topics; speaking about general and academic topics, and in the disciplines taught. Graduates of the Faculty usually choose their careers in cultural and public administration, tourism, international business, teaching, translation, journalism, academia, editing, diplomacy, international relations, project management, local government, or the media.
Susan Yin / Unsplash
- English Studies
- American Studies
- Business English
- and later on in the MA program:
- Applied Linguistics
- Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies
- Gender Studies
- Level of the programme: BA
- Duration of the programme: 6 semesters
- Registered in: EU
- Credits: 180
Who should apply?
We expect applicants to be interested in the cultures and peoples of the English speaking world.
- certificate of completion of secondary education (general certificate of education or high school diploma)
- international certificate of advanced command of English
- TOEFL Score: min. 87 or
- TOEFL ITP Score: min 543 or
- IELTS Band: min. 6.5 or
- Cambridge First Certificate [CFC]
- other certificates of advanced command of English accepted by the department
- written document certifying the completion of a minimum of four semesters of studies, instructed in English, accepted by the department
- in exceptional cases, other proof of proficiency equivalent to these accepted by the department
- Start of the programme: September of each year
- Tuition fee: 1500 EUR per semester
- Application fee: 35 EUR
- Entrance Exam fee: 250 EUR
About the School
The University of Szeged (SZTE) with a history dating back to 1581, is located in the sunniest city of Hungary attracting thousands of young people due to its lively, urban lifestyle and colorful fest ... Read More