Novi Sad is situated in the Vojvodina region, in Northern Serbia. Its architecture and spirit have been shaped by many a nation. Easy-going and surrounded by fertile lowland, Novi Sad is a city of rich history and cultural diversity and is home to south-east Europe’s largest music festival, EXIT. It is designated to be the European Capital of Culture in 2021.
The BA English Language program is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills that enable them to perform oral and written translation, as well as to teach English. During the course of the study, students gain language competence at C1 level, master the English language grammar, build general and specific vocabulary, acquire business communication skills (oral and written), learn the techniques of scientific, professional and official translation and interpreting, as well as theoretical and practical knowledge in teaching methodology and pedagogical psychology. In addition, our students also have the ESP (English for Specific Purposes) courses in the field of law and business, which is especially important for professional advancement and a successful career.
Why Enrol in the BA in English Language Program?
- English is a global language, spoken by more than 1, 75 billion people, and by 2020 the number is expected to rise to almost two billion people! The demand for English language teachers is growing worldwide!
- Our students acquire theoretical and practical knowledge in teaching methodology, as well as the basics of pedagogy, and developmental and educational psychology, which qualifies them to work as teachers in all types of educational institutions.
- English is the dominant language of communication in international business, and knowledge of business and legal terminology in English is becoming invaluable!
- Students attend the ESP courses in the field of law and business, as well as courses in business communication and correspondence skills, and digital literacy skills.
- English is the leading language in politics, diplomacy and the media. Our program includes courses on translation and interpreting techniques, thus enabling our students to work as interpreters and translators.
- Students also gain specialized knowledge in the field of English and American literature, as well as British and American history and culture, which is necessary for full competence in the field.
Completed secondary education and entrance exam.
The applicant has to submit the following documents:
- Certified and translated (if originals are not in English) copy of school transcripts showing satisfactory completion of secondary school.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- The payment receipt of the application fee
The entrance exam consists of an oral and written part. The required minimum is B2 (Upper Intermediate) level of language competence.
The written part of the entrance exam amounts to 55 points maximum and tests the knowledge of the English language through a series of standard language exercises:
- Reading comprehension
- English in use (transformations, vocabulary skills - multiple-choice tasks, filling in the gaps, morphology; structural close exercise; identification and correction of errors)
Each candidate takes the oral part of the entrance exam. This part lasts no more than 10 minutes and amounts to 5 points maximum.
Applicants who have an international English language certificate equivalent to B2 level (TOEFL, IELTS, and FCE) are not required to take the entrance exam. They are required to submit an official copy of the language exam certificate.
The candidates are required to submit their school transcripts, nostrificated by the Serbian Ministry of Education. For further information on the nostrification process, please contact the school directly.
Upon completing the BA program and acquiring 240 ECTS, students are awarded the professional title Bachelor in English Philology.
- Education sector: primary and secondary schools, private schools
- Written translation services: agencies, companies, banks, travel agencies, publishers
- Simultaneous and consecutive interpreting
- Online English Language Teaching
- Content writing for IT companies
- Entrepreneurship: private schools or translation agencies
BA English Language Curriculum (Excerpt)
- Contemporary English 1
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Anglo-American Societies and Cultures
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Contemporary English 2
- Introduction to Literary Studies
- Electives: Italian/French
- Contemporary English 3
- English Literature before the 18th Century
- English Morphology
- Political Life in Anglo-Saxon Countries
- Contemporary English 4
- Academic Writing
- Developmental Psychology
- Language Structures in Contrast
- English Syntax
- Electives: English Literature in the 19th Century/Introduction to Law
- Educational Psychology
- Contemporary English 5
- Business Correspondence in English
- Introduction to Legal English
- Translation Techniques
- Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis
- Digital Literacy
- English for Corporate Law
- English Teaching Methodology
- English for Banking
- Techniques for Translating Scientific and Professional Texts
- Electives: English for IT and Finance / Translating Literary Texts
- Electives: Teaching Techniques for School-Age Children / Legal English for Modern Business
- Interpreting Techniques
- Undergraduate Dissertation
Duration & Price:
- 4 years (8 semesters), 3000 EUR/year. All course materials are included in the tuition fee.
- Start date: October 2020
- Deadline: request info
About the School
The Dr Lazar Vrkatic Faculty of Law and Business Studies is an accredited institution of higher education providing undergraduate and graduate study programmes in Law, English Language, Security and C ... Read More