Bachelor Degree in Communication Design
Because design is your language: The study for creative designers
Communication is everywhere. Posters, book covers, magazines, logos, apps, interfaces, web design or packaging design - Every day we encounter hundreds of visual messages. They appeal to us or repel us, they excite enthusiasm but sometimes also disgust or anger. The fact is: they influence our thinking and acting, because they are not only aesthetic, but also convey complex contents and emotions. As a communication or graphic designer you will find the best visual and creative expression for all messages.
In the bachelor program Communication Design, you will only learn from renowned lecturers from the creative industry and you will be able to enjoy the professional equipment of the University of Applied Sciences Europe including photo studio, print
At the University of Applied Sciences Europe we make you fit for the creative industries: Through a lot of practice, you train your expertise and gain design-conceptual security. We think interculturally and interdisciplinary, which is enormously important later in practice. Our successful lecturers are your permanent contact persons and mentors. From them you get the necessary equipment. Already during your studies you will design your own covers, posters, logos, apps and much more. In order for you to be ready for exciting jobs in the creative industry after graduating, you will also learn how to initiate innovative solution processes, methodically moderate and work in teams. This gives you the opportunity to optimally expand your creative profile.
- Early Bird: Apply until June 30 and get a 10% discount on the first semester in WS19.
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Campus: Berlin and Hamburg
- Language of instruction: German
- Beginning of the semester:
- Winter semester: September
- Summer semester: March
- Duration of study: 7 semesters (full time)
- Internship / semester abroad: in the 5th semester
- Credit Points: 210 ECTS
- Focus of study:
- Focus on individual support in small learning groups and a family atmosphere. Many creative freedom, professional equipment and practical projects. Teaching by renowned lecturers from the creative industry.
- Study Fees:
- For EU applicants: € 7,980 annually
- For non-EU applicants: € 10,380 annually
The special thing about studying at the University of Applied Sciences Europe
In our small, individual study groups you study in a friendly and personal atmosphere. Since our experienced lecturers get to know you well over the course of time, you will receive targeted and individual support.
Our teachers are without exception experts from the creative industries, from whose contacts in the industry you can profit.
A wide range of subjects allows you to co-determine and expand the contents of the course. In addition, you can set additional emphases through self-selected specialization subjects and expand your spectrum in an interdisciplinary manner. As a particularly practice-oriented university, we guarantee state-of-the-art equipment such as photo studio, print
Our university is state recognized, awarded several times - and our professors and students alike. You can apply for NC-free with us, because with us your personality counts!
Contents of study - semester abroad, internships and more
The communication design study is divided into different groups of modules: In the basics, we first teach the creative craft of typography, drawing, photography, animation, painting and the basics of graphic design. In elective modules Editorial Design, Digital Design, Advertising Design, Poster
Over the entire course of study, we offer internships and international excursions in which you apply and improve your newly acquired skills.
In the 5th semester, you have the opportunity to try out directly during an internship or semester abroad.
Study communication design and make a career
At all levels of conception and strategic planning, communication designers and media designers are involved. They not only think creatively but also economically, technically, socially and ecologically.
Our alumni work in creative industries as creative or art directors in advertising and communication agencies, in publishers or design offices, as lecturers at technical schools or faculties.
Students talk about studying in the #uestories
"The University of Applied Sciences Europe pushes me. I think that's positive, because it's good and important to be taken out of your usual environment and to get to know new things. That's how I find my way off the usual paths. That's priceless! " - Tommaso studies communication design at our university in Berlin
Application for the art department Art
Film Motion Design, Photography, Communication Design, Game Design or Illustration - Which course of study fits your talents? We appreciate your interest in undergraduate courses at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
You can apply one year in advance for the desired semester start at our university. The application deadline for the winter semester is August 15 (non-EU applicants: June 15) and for the summer semester February 28 (non-EU applicants: February 28) . Following this, there is a follow-up procedure for unrecognized study places. If you already have a valid student visa for Germany, you can apply within the official application deadline.
Admission criteria for a study place at the University of Applied Sciences Europe are the university entrance qualification and the results of the entrance examination. A recording is also possible if the criteria of §11 in the Berlin Higher Education Act (BerlHG) are met.
By the way: You can also take the entrance exam without a high school diploma and one year before your planned start of studies. This will give you the certainty of whether or not you can study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
We look forward to receiving your application for the summer and winter semester 2019 and beyond.
The basic admission requirement for the bachelor's degree program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe is the (technical) higher education entrance qualification you have achieved with a high school diploma. Anyone who has completed at least two years of vocational training regulated by federal or state law and has worked for at least two years (each in a field similar to the intended course) has an immediate subject-specific university entrance qualification (BerlHG § 11) and can also attend the University of Applied Sciences Europe Study University of Applied Sciences Europe .
We will examine your requirements and inform you immediately after submission of the documents whether you can be admitted to the studies.
Benefits in programs of study at other state or state recognized higher education institutions as well as extra-curricular achievements are recognized on application, provided that their equivalence with the achievements in the respective study course is established. Equivalence shall be established where no material difference can be demonstrated and the performance in terms of content, scope and requirements of the study program for which credit is requested is substantially the same. Responsible for this is the examination board. The concrete conditions for crediting and the exact procedure for this are regulated in the relevant examination regulations for the study program.
So you apply
- Please complete our online application form completely.
- Upload a copy of your (Fach-) Abitur certificate or equivalent.
- After reviewing your records, we can assess if you qualify for a degree from the University of Applied Sciences Europe . If so, we will invite you to your entrance exam. Please make sure we have your valid phone number and can reach you about it. Of course, your data will be treated confidentially and will not be passed on to us.
- For the entrance exam at our university, please bring your own portfolio and a certificate of general or subject-specific university entrance qualification in original or in certified photocopies.
How is the recording interview going?
- Please bring along for the admission interview:
- Tabular CV
- Certificate of General or Subject-Specific University Degree in Certified Photocopies. Admission is also possible if the criteria of § 11 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (BerlHG) are met.
- Portfolio with own artistic-creative works. This should contain 15-20 working examples (exception Game Design (BA), three to five concepts). The following are possible: drawings, paintings, sketchbooks, photos, computer graphics, websites, CD-ROMs, short films, but also text-oriented works such as: B. Concepts for advertising campaigns or articles. Larger sculptural works and three-dimensional objects can also be documented as photos or in digital form. The folder must be accompanied by a written statement that the work was done independently. In the case of Game Design concepts for analog or digital games and also prototypes can be shown (Gameplay, Game Art, Story).
- Possibly. Proof of own social commitment, eg. For example, projects in which you are involved.
- Your conversation with representatives of the kind
- First, you will be asked about your motivation for a creative study.
- Afterwards your folder will be examined, in which about 15-20 work samples should be. Your portfolio and the results of the interview will decide on your admission to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
- Immediately after the interview, you will learn if you will be admitted to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
Program taught in: