South and Southeast Asia is one of the world's most dynamic and diverse areas. Understand the complexity of the region's history, languages, and cultures.
Why study South and Southeast Asian Studies?
In the South and Southeast Asian programme you gain a thorough understanding of the history, cultures, politics and languages of the region, home to almost a third of the world's population (and two-thirds of its Muslims) and some of the world's fastest-growing economies. Relevant contemporary issues such as ethnic and religious conflicts, inequality and development, the surge in cultural and political movements and the tensions between modernity and tradition are addressed in lectures and seminars.
Your degree in South and Southeast Asian Studies makes you an attractive candidate for a variety of potential employers. This is due to your broad knowledge of a large area, your language and regional specialisation, and the academic skills you will have acquired. You could, for instance, work as a researcher, consultant, curator or P&O staff member, or in an international ministry or embassy, or in education.
Why South and Southeast Asian Studies at Leiden University?
- The Leiden University programme is unique: the only bachelor's in the Netherlands where you can study languages and cultures of the region at a multidisciplinary, academic level.
- You specialise in the areas and aspects that interest you most and learn a language like Hindi or Sanskrit as part of your studies.
- You have access to the world-renowned Asian collection at Leiden University Library, as well as to the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) and the International Institute of Asian Studies (IIAS).
Is this programme for you?
In this programme, you gain the academic, language, and practical skills essential to research, analyze, understand, and formulate creative answers to the tough questions arising from this dynamic region. Are you:
- Fascinated by the historical context and emerging possibilities of this region?
- Want to specialize in one country or area, diving deep into specific issues?
- Want to learn from the top academics and lecturers in the field?
- Looking to broaden your perspectives by studying with international students?
Then South and Southeast Asian Studies is for you!
About the School
Are you curious, critical and involved in the world around you? At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can make a valuable contribution to tackling the various national an ... Read More