Screenwriting BA Honours degree is a unique fast-track writing programme that provides the opportunity to learn the art and craft of screenwriting at an accelerated pace.
During this two-year degree, students receive expert teaching from working industry screenwriters and also see work they have written being rehearsed and shot.
After developing your screenwriting skills by working on exercises, scenes and short films, students then go on to focus on writing feature films for which they receive professional script development support before pitching at exclusive meetings with UK literary agents.
- Full-time degree course
- 2 years
- Currently taking applications for February 2016
- Accredited by the University of Gloucestershire
The primary focus is on storytelling and professional practice. However, students are also provided with a thorough insight into the business and economics of feature film production, distribution and the international world of film festivals. Our approach is to provide a holistic insight into the world of telling stories for the big screen. We believe this is the best way to prepare our students for future employment.
The BA (Hons) Screenwriting course is centred around the art and craft of storytelling.
It has been designed to prepare graduates for employment by providing them with the skills demanded by employers not only in the film and television industries but also, increasingly, in the world of video games.
The course embraces the truth of the adage that “writers write” and therefore, with the help of our outstanding roster of industry professionals as tutors, students are required to apply their learning to screenplays throughout their time on the course.
- The BA Screenwriting course is delivered as an intensive fast-track programme over two years.
- The course is delivered in smaller class sizes and specialist seminar groups.
- The course involves a higher than normal proportion of scheduled contact hours – 40% – to reflect the film school’s ethos of providing new writers with substantial one-to-one development time.
- The course is delivered exclusively by working industry professionals, including script development executives from the British Film Institute, the Script Factory, BBC and a range of production companies. This is integral to the school’s master-apprentice style of teaching.
- Professional actors will stage much of the students’ work.
Our students are heavily encouraged to collaborate with the BA Practical Filmmaking students to have their screenplays go into production. This is both a part of the course and something encouraged outside of the course.
The two-year BA
It is important to be aware that whilst most UK BA courses last for three years, we compress the course into two in order to keep tuition fees to a minimum. This means that the course is highly intensive and requires full commitment throughout the whole two-year period. Our students are always busy with assignments and graduation films and the course runs from early September until September the year after next, unlike most academic programmes where students sit their final exams in the Spring.
About the School
Central Film School delivers relevant, practical training in filmmaking and screenwriting in a supportive, collaborative and creative filmmaking environment. Small and friendly, the school provides co ... Read More