This unique programme in Philosophy offers you comparative perspectives from around the globe, enabling you to become part of the next generation of thinkers: those who are studying and shaping the philosophy for a globalized 21st century.
The programme gradually prepares you for independent study and research. The first year focuses on study skills like reading, argument analysis, and writing short essays.
The second year focuses on presentation skills, argument design, and advanced writing. In the third year you will be combining these skills in specialist seminars, with the bachelor's thesis as your final proof of competence.
Why study Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives?
Philosophy challenges you to question prejudices and to be open to different perspectives. This philosophy bachelor programme is unique in that it offers a cross-cultural dimension of comparative philosophy in which the world's thought traditions mutually inform and enrich one another. Studying the philosophies of India, East Asia, and the Arab world alongside those of the West will give you a global context for thought and make you the kind of professional that today's global world is simply crying out for.
Why Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives at Leiden University?
- Unique in The Netherlands and one of the few programmes worldwide to feature traditions of thought from India, East Asia, Europe and the Arab world, while focusing on opportunities for interaction and comparison.
- International academic environment and teaching based on the long, globally-recognized tradition of excellent Leiden scholarship.
- Offers small tutorial groups for in-depth discussion and skills training, as well as a thorough mentoring by senior students and dedicated staff.
Is this the programme for you?
- Do you enjoy discussing current issues in science and society?
- Do you want to know more about the history of the concepts we use to frame those issues? And do you want to know about the alternative concepts used in other cultures?
- Are you stimulated by high levels of abstraction?
- Do you sometimes feel that current debates fail to address the proper questions?
- Are you willing to challenge assumptions?
Then the Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives programme is for you!
About the School
Are you curious, critical and involved in the world around you? At Leiden University, the oldest university in the Netherlands, you can make a valuable contribution to tackling the various national an ... Read More