Whether you are an aspiring Filmmaker, Screenwriter, Film Researcher or Critic, our BA Honours Film is a single flexible degree course that meets the interests and ambitions of a wide variety of students united by a passion for film. At Middlesex, we offer a unique degree experience in Film, not only because the course is designed to be flexible, accommodating very different kinds of film students, but also because it encourages, indeed requires, collaboration between students with different interests, skills and knowledge, which is great preparation for working professionally in the film industry. You will be part of a great community of people striving to be the best and to develop their passion for film.
Why Study BA Honours Film?
- Our facilities allow you to familiarise yourself with equipment and learn a wide range of practical skills from pre-production to post-production.
- You will be taught by professional producers, directors and screenwriters with expertise in areas including experimental filmmaking, corporate filmmaking and drama.
- You will learn from guest speakers from the industry.
- Our excellent relationship with film festivals, such as the Dubai Film Festival will allow you to participate in competitions related to a wide range of film activities. It also offers opportunities for internships and networking with professionals in the industry.
Forbes ME Higher EducationMiddlesex University Dubai was awarded ‘Best Media Centre’ in the region at the Forbes Middle East Higher Education Awards 2019.
Middlesex University Dubai has recently launched a new MDX Studio on campus. You can witness and visit the brand new facilities of the Studio in Block 16, Dubai Knowledge Park.
Middlesex University Dubai’s MDX Studios is the Middle East and Africa’s only Certified Academic Training Partner for Blackmagic Design Certifications. Third-year Film students may take an additional exam in partnership with BMD, whereby, upon successful completion, the student is awarded Professional Certifications in Edit, Audio Engineering, VFX, and Colour Grading, in addition to their degree. Through the University’s partnership with Warner Bros ME and Universal Brand Development through Shooting Stars Middle East, students are provided with opportunity and support with creating digital content for various aspects including theatrical campaigns and retail takeovers.
Half of your first year of study is dedicated to practical filmmaking and you will learn the foundations of film production and post-production. The other half of your first-year studies focuses equally on storytelling for screen narratives and film analysis. Half of your second year is dedicated to producing and directing, looking at all stages in the filmmaking process from conception and development to post-production. In your final year, you will choose your own film dissertation project. The scope for this project is very broad so you can develop a practical or theory-based film project in any area that excites you. You will also look at film theory and research in more detail, as preparation for your film dissertation. You will also benefit from wider preparation for employment in the film industry, including gaining a greater understanding of finance, distribution and marketing.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Screen Storytelling (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Screen Aesthetics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Production Fundamentals 1 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Production Fundamentals 2 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Producing and Directing (60 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Documentary (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Screenwriting: The Short Film (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Major Project (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Ideology and Aesthetics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Film Entrepreneurship (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Advanced Producing and Directing (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Jakob Owens / Unsplash
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
Graduates of this course have gone on to a wide range of careers, including writers, editors, sound technicians, directors of photography, camera assistants, directors and designers. Some have gone on to work at major institutions such as the BBC, while others have set up their own small businesses, attracting both commercial work and funded commissions. Some have become music video producers and others are freelancers representing a range of special professions within production and post-production. We help you to establish yourself in the industry in all kinds of ways, including supporting your submission of work to film festivals and supporting your writing, whether critical journalism or screenwriting.
About the School
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Read More