You will gain advanced theoretical and practical knowledge of accounting and finance and learn to understand management concepts within an international business context. BA Honours Accounting and Finance is the ideal first step to becoming a qualified accountant.
Why Study BA Honours Accounting and Finance
- The degree is tailored so that students receive the highest possible number of exemptions from the professional body examinations including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
- We cover the costs of students to join the ACCA’s Accelerate and CIMA University Schemes which gives graduating students associated membership of both bodies, offering a further reduction in professional exam fees and access to professional body employability and academic resources and networking.
- A unique programme combining accounting and finance knowledge and skills.
- As well as theoretical knowledge, the programme includes the use of Sage to develop additional employment skills.
- Middlesex Accountancy and Finance graduates progress into careers with a wide range of prestigious organisations, including KPMG and Deloitte and Touché.
- Internship opportunities available through the Careers and Employability Service.
- Option to transfer to London campus.*
* Subject to prevailing UK visa regulations
- Opportunity to interact with finance professionals in discourse sessions and guest lectures.
- Information session with accounting and finance professional bodies on campus.
- Get maximum exemptions from ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW.
- Opportunity to start ACCA while studying.
- ACCA Accelerate scheme offers a further reduction in exam fee.
- Opportunity to gain SAGE CIMA certification in Year 1.
- We cover the cost for you to become CIMA Student Members.
- Opportunity to learn accounting and finance software to enhance employability.
In Year 1 you will learn to use CIMA Sage accounting software and gain an official CIMA Sage user’s certificate. Middlesex was the first university in the UK to provide certified CIMA Sage training. From the second year onwards you will choose from an extensive range of modules that explore the broader business environment and gain an understanding of the pivotal role of accounting to the success of organisations across the globe. You will develop transferable skills to support you in your career journeys, such as advanced analytical thinking and problem-solving. You will learn how to work effectively in teams as both a leader and collaborator and become a confident communicator both written and verbally, ensuring you can communicate effectively in a business environment.
There are six compulsory modules in the first year. These modules are designed to give a solid grounding in the subject and bring all students to a standard level of competence to pursue further study in the subject.
In the second year, you will study three compulsory modules: two are designed to enhance your capabilities in areas of financial accounting and management accounting while the third is Business Law.
The financial and management accounting module that you study in year two depends on the grade achieved in year one. You need to get a grade 8 or above in Financial/Management Accounting (ACC1110/ACC1115) to study the exemptions bearing Advanced Financial /Management Accounting (ACC2120/ACC2125) respectively otherwise you will study Applied Financial/Management Accounting (ACC2810/ACC2820). You will choose one optional module.
In the final year, you will study four compulsory modules designed to advance skills and knowledge appropriate to graduate level. You will choose one optional module.
In the second and third years, you are required to devote more time to ethics, governance and controversial accounting principles. You will study accounting rules and apply accounting skills. There is more emphasis on discussion, critical evaluation, reflection and anticipation of likely future developments.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Financial Accounting (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Management Accounting (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Corporate Responsibility and Ethics (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Financial Business Environment (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Accounting Information Systems (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Financial Data Analysis (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Applied Management Accounting OR Advanced Management Accounting (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Applied Financial Accounting OR Advanced Financial Accounting (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Business Law (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Operations Management (30 Credits) - Optional
- Personal Financial Behaviour (30 Credits) - Optional
- Financial Project Management (30 Credits) - Optional
- Financial Mathematics (30 Credits) - Optional
- Corporate Finance (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Ethics and Sustainability (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Taxation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Accounting Theory (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Investment Analysis (30 Credits) - Optional
- Advanced Financial Data Analysis (30 Credits) - Optional
- Corporate Accountability (30 Credits) - Optional
- Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation (30 Credits) - Optional
- Authentic Leadership Development (30 Credits) - Optional
- Audit and Assurance (30 Credits) - Optional
Helloquence / Unsplash
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
An Accounting and Finance degree opens the doors to a range of careers, many with excellent progression and competitive salaries. You can also pursue a career as a professional accountant following accreditation.
Middlesex Accounting and Finance graduates progress into careers with a wide range of prestigious organisations in the following roles: Trainee Accountant, Accounts Assistant, Audit Trainee, Financial Risk Analyst, Finance Assistant, Credit Controller, etc.
About the School
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Read More