Leiden is the only place in the Netherlands for international students who wish to specialise in the Dutch language (and Dutch culture, history and society) at a high academic level.
Your level of Dutch determines much of your first year. No previous Dutch? Then you will work hard at learning to speak, write and understand Dutch. You attend lectures on Dutch culture, and gain the research, writing and presentation skills needed for your final written paper. You learn about the great historical impact of this small nation and gain insight into present-day Dutch society.
The second year consists of advanced language courses, introductory courses on Dutch Linguistics, Literature and History of the Netherlands. You will also learn how to conduct independent scientific research. Students are also attending courses Fifteen centuries of the Netherlands and Methods of Linguistic, Literary and Historical Research. All the courses in the second year are obligatory.
During the third year you have a lot of freedom to tailor your studies to your personal interests and ambitions via electives. You choose to specialise in one of four areas: Dutch Literature, Linguistics, History or Art History. You may choose to follow courses from other Leiden programmes; in this way you structure a minor period that reflects your interests and future academic or career goals. You conclude by writing a bachelor's thesis (in Dutch).
After your BA in Dutch Studies, you will be highly fluent in Dutch and will be express your ideas in an outstanding way, both orally and in writing. Further you are an expert on Dutch culture and society, historic and contemporary, and thanks to your Leiden University education you have excellent critical thinking abilities. With these skills you can approach many different sectors and potential employers with confidence.
Why Dutch Studies at Leiden University?
- Study in the historic city of Leiden, the international centre of Dutch studies.
- Flexible study options depending upon your own ambitions, and the level of Dutch you already have: from ground-zero to relatively advanced.
- The only programme in the Netherlands that offers international students the chance to specialise in Dutch language and culture.
Is this programme for you?
The unique combination of Dutch Studies and your own native language makes you the ideal person to build intercultural connections after your study.
- Do Dutch language, history, and culture fascinate you?
- Want to learn Dutch at a high academic level, or bring your current level of Dutch to the point where you are highly fluent?
- Do your ambitions include teaching Dutch, working in an international organization connected to the Netherlands, or focusing on a specific aspect of Dutch for further Master study?
Then Dutch Studies is for you!