Take the first step to becoming a professional animator! Pulse College is very excited to partner with Griffith College, Ireland’s largest independent third level institution, to deliver this brand new, unique and industry-focused BA Degree in Animation.
Pulse College’s BA Degree in Animation is developed and taught by practising industry professionals to ensure that you receive the very highest levels of training. A key part of the course involves producing a portfolio of work that will help you get into the exciting and growing Irish and international animation industry.
Studying at Pulse College will introduce you to valuable professional workflows and teach you everything from the basics of animation, 2D animation techniques, through to full 3D modelling. With the significant benefit of hands-on experience, you will be taught beyond the standard levels required by academic institutions. This practical experience is an essential element of our unique programme.
Class times are 20 hours per week, Monday to Friday with study spaces and extra tutoring available to provide to practice your skills.
Enrolling Now for September 2019
This course covers the full range of topics from drawing skills to 3D modelling, 3D lighting, character texturing, character animating, environmental modelling, animation rendering, and 2D animation, Comic Books and Sequential Art, Animation for Video Games.
A key aspect of this course is to produce a portfolio over the duration of the course that will help you to break into the dynamic and creative animation industry.
During the course, you will learn about:
- Animating in 2D
- Designing a character for 3D Modelling
- How to create a 3D character model
- How to add colour to your character
- Making your character move
- Developing storyboards for animation
- Creating an environment to house your character
- Camera and lighting effects to make your animation pop
- Life Drawing
- Comic Books and Sequential Art
- Animation for Video Games
Whether you want to be an animator, character designer for games, concept artist, or VFX animator, Pulse College can set you on the right track to achieving your goal.
DETAILED COURSE CONTENT
- 2D Digital Imaging 1
- Animation Principles & History
- Life Drawing
- Storyboarding and Layout
- 3D Modelling 1 (Characters and environments)
- 3D Rigging & Animation
- Texturing & Unwrapping
- Visual Culture & Theory 1
- 2D Digital Imaging 2
- Narrative & Storytelling
- Life Drawing for Animation
- 3D Modelling 2 (Characters & Video Games)
- 3D Advanced Rigging & Animation
- Special Effects, Compositing & Motion Graphics
- Sequential Art Design and Production (Comic Art and Production)
- Visual Culture & Theory 2
- Final Project
- 3D Sculpting & Modelling
- Videogames Tools & Environments
- Audio Production
- Entrepreneurship (Marketing for business)
In line with national policy, graduates from the level 7 programme would be eligible to progress to postgraduate programmes at level 8.
Graduates may wish to further extend their industry-based professional qualifications as new technologies and developments emerge.
This course is a direct application course and includes an interview. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will contact you to schedule your course interview.
There is no portfolio requirement to enrol on this course.
Please see specific information on the course requirements below:
Irish Citizen Under 23 Years of Age
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview and achieving a minimum of:
5x O6/H7s (O6 = 40 – 55% in a Leaving Certificate Ordinary subject / H7 = 30-40% in a Leaving Certificate Higher Level subject)
- To include a minimum O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Maths
- To include a minimum O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Irish or English
To achieve a full award in a FETAC Level 5/6 or HETAC Level 7 in Animation/Art/Media.
3x GCSE A-Level / NVQ Level 3 in Film/Media or similar
Irish Mature Student over 23 Years of Age
Students over the age of 23 years of age on 1st January of the year of the course is classified as a Mature Student. Mature applicants are advised to apply directly through the college website. Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview. Applicants will be asked for a detailed CV. Applications should be made before the 31st August the year of the course.
International Student Living Abroad or in Ireland
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview. International Students below the age of 23 years of age will be required to submit High School Diploma Scripts and any additional Education Certifications. For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper-based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
- Computer-based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
- Internet-based 90 with a written score of 21.
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.
General Course Requirements
- A proven interest in Art and/or Animation techniques and to display some interest in related creative media arts
- Basic knowledge of computers (Mac/PC, and audio software): helpful but not essential
Note: Applications from individuals with non-standard qualifications, relevant work or life experience will also be considered.
This course requires an interview as part of your applications. Please see the FAQ’s below for commonly asked questions regarding the interview process.
Where do the interviews take place?
The interviews are held in:
Pulse College, The Market Studios, Halston Street, Corner of Mary’s Lane, Dublin 7
How long will the interview be?
The interview will be typically 20–30 minutes long.
What should I bring?
If you could please bring:
- A copy of your C.V. that includes results of any music exams/tests you have completed to date. It should also include details of any groups/associations you have been a member of. It should also list your hobbies/interests
- It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity
- A copy of your passport/drivers licence
- A copy of any previous education transcripts and certificates
It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity.
How many people will be interviewing me?
The panel typically comprises 2-3 people.
Apart from the minimum requirements, what do they generally look for in a candidate?
Successful candidates have a strong, proven interest in this area. They are passionate about animation and are prepared to work very hard towards their goals.
Total Course Fee Per Year
- €8,415 per year (3 years duration)*
- [2% PFL Charge of €165 included in Total Fee Per Year]
Flexible Payment Option
- Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
- Enrolment Fee: €3,500 (payable in September)
- Instalments: 4 monthly payments of €1028.75 (Oct – Jan)
International Student Fee Per Year
- EU Student Living Abroad: €9,357 per year (3 years duration)*
- Non-EU Student Living in Ireland: €12, 295 per year (3 years duration)*
- Non-EU Student Living Abroad: €12, 295 per year (3 years duration)*
2% PFL Charge is included in all of the total course fees above. This charge is incurred to finance arrangements required under Part 6 of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act, 2012 to ensure the protection of enrolled learners.
*Please note that a Registration Fee of €250 is applicable each academic year in addition to the fees quoted above
Please contact us to find out more about our Flexible Payment options.
About the School
Established in 1990, Pulse College provides the highest standards of professional training courses in audio, music, film, gaming and animation. With courses designed and delivered by experienced worki ... Read More