BA (Hons) in Montessori Education
The St. Nicholas Montessori BA (Hons) in Montessori Education is Ireland's only early years' degree that is recognised for the purposes of registration with the Teaching Council of Ireland (under Route 4, for learners registering prior to 31 December 2023).
Graduates of the BA (Hons) in Montessori Education find employment as advanced practitioners in Early Childhood in the following roles:
- Special Educational Needs teachers in national schools
- Teachers in Special schools
- Teachers in Montessori Early Childhood care or educational settings
- Owner/managers in privately owned Montessori Early Childhood settings
- Community and voluntary based managers and inspectors
- Managers, administrators in City and County Childcare Committees, Family Resource Centres and HSE specialist ECEC services
- Managers or teachers in Naionraí
The BA (Honours) Programme in Montessori Education is a one year course comprising of lectures, tutorials and significant independent study. Learners complete a range of assignments, including essays, group presentations, projects and a dissertation.
In addition, they complete a School Placement module with 7 weeks of scheduled school placement periods, comprised as follows:
- 1 week of observation in semester 1
- 4 weeks block in a primary setting in semester 2
- 2-week block in a special education setting in semester 2
Learners are assigned tutors at the beginning of the year and the course is managed by a Programme Director.
- Module 01: Montessori: Theory and Application
- Module 02: School Placement
- Module 03: Dissertation
- Module 04: Special Education in Practice
- Module 05: Psychology of Teaching and Learning
- Module 06: The Irish Primary School System
- Module 07: Philosophy of Education
- Module 08: Personal and Professional Development
- Module 09: The Arts in Education (Elective)
- Module 10: Gaeilge (Irish) (Elective)
Mode of Study
Programmes are delivered in our Dun Laoghaire campus, just a few minutes walk from the DART station. Some modules or parts of modules may also be delivered online via web conferencing, or live lectures online.
Placement takes place each year and this can be arranged in schools throughout the country (additional fees may apply for placements in settings outside a 50km radius of Dun Laoghaire).
The full-time programme is delivered Monday to Thursday from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
The part-time programme runs in the evenings and at weekends. Typically you will be required to attend Thursday, Friday evenings + Saturday.
Applicants to the BA (Hons) in Montessori Education will be required to hold SNMCI’s Level 7 BA in Montessori Education, with a minimum of a Merit 2 result.
Holders of the CIT Level 7 BA in Montessori Education are also eligible for entry.
Other applications may be considered via the Recognition of Prior Learning Process but it is likely that such applicants will be required to enrol in the Level 7 programme unless a detailed mapping of the learning outcomes of the BA in Montessori Education (Level 7) demonstrates that the learner has achieved all of these learning outcomes as a result of existing study and/or experiential learning.
- Full-time fees = € 5,990 per year
- Part-time fees = € 5,990 per year
Newly enrolling students must pay a €500 deposit to secure a place. The deposit will be deducted from the first year’s fees.
Instalment plans are available.
The full-time programme is eligible for funding under the SUSI grant scheme.
- School leavers – Not applicable
- Level 7 Montessori degree holders – Direct application
- Recognition of Prior Learning and Experience is available
We practice what we preach. Learning via the Montessori method will provide you with a set of 21st Century learning skills which will serve you throughout your career, whether that be in education of another discipline.
21st Century learning skills are those skills which are recognised as being crucial for learners to acquire if they are to successfully navigate the complex work and life environments of the 21st Century.
The BA (Hons) in Montessori Education is a one year course currently recognised by the Teaching Council, so we advise students to do advanced entry in our Level 7 BA or a 12-week intensive Bridging Programme, depending on their experience and qualifications.
Bachelor of Arts Level 7 Montessori Education
The Montessori Method of education is a child-centred educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood.
The BA in Montessori Education is designed for learners who wish to embark on a career in Montessori Education and Care for the child, birth to twelve years. It is a broad-based modular programme incorporating Montessori pedagogy and philosophy with the core knowledge and skills necessary to work in the early childhood sector. The programme also provides training in business skills appropriate for those wishing to set up /manage a small business.
Graduates are eligible for the higher capitation of the ECCE scheme run by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs (DCYA).
- Montessori Curriculum and competence
- Montessori Education and Philosophy from 0 - 12 years of age
- Sociology of Childhood
- Developmental and Educational
- Child Health, Safety and Nutrition
- Special Education
- Social Policy
- The Arts in Education
- Early years and school placement
Duration: 3 Years F/T & P/T
Leaving Certificate - Five Ds in ordinary level subjects to include English and Maths, or another equivalent level 5 award.
Entry is subject to full Garda vetting.
Graduates emerging from level 7 holding a merit 2 or higher, may progress to SMSI's BA Hons in Montessori Education (Level 8).
Bachelor of Arts Level 8 Montessori Education
This programme is for those who wish to embark on a career working with children or educators in Montessori or Special Education settings and is a follow on programme from the level 7 BA in Montessori Education. The Programme comprises of lectures, tutorials and significant independent study.
Learners complete a range of assignments, group presentations, projects, a dissertation and a School Placement module with 7 weeks of scheduled school placement.
- Montessori Theory and Application
- Special Education in Practice
- Psychology of Teaching and Learning
- The Irish Primary School System
- Philosophy of Education
- Personal and Professional Development
- The Arts in Education (elective)
- Gaeilge (elective)
Duration: 1 Year F/Tand P/T
About the School
The College is Ireland’s leading provider of Montessori and Early Years professionals and unique in that the Level 8 BA Hons in Montessori Education programme enables graduates to register under Route ... Read More