Develop your individual way of seeing the world and take the first step in your career. Whether you're interested in a commercial, gallery, fashion or editorial role, you'll benefit from the professional experience and connections of our active practitioners.
Responsive and progressive. Photography at Falmouth has a stellar international reputation. During this practice-based course, you'll take part in tutorials, seminars, lectures, workshops and group activities. You'll also benefit from opportunities for national and international placements, portfolio reviews from visiting experts and paid commissions with our in house photo agency.
- National and international placements
- Professional facilities and equipment free to loan
- Portfolio reviews from visiting experts
- Paid opportunities at our in-house photo agency
- Opportunities to exhibit and publish your work
- Optional study trip to New York
How the course is taught
A practice-based course, project work is supported by trips to local and national galleries, studios and companies. Core teaching involves an extensive programme of practical inductions, tutorials, seminars, lectures, workshops and group activities. As you progress, you'll be encouraged to question and engage with photographic debates, developing your professional practice and fluency.
BA(Hons) Photography prioritizes your individual interests, drawing out your unique potential so that your work can play a part in the changing landscape of professional photographic territories. The course challenges you to think beyond predictable modes of representation while also supporting you with high staff contact time to articulate and develop your own ideas.
What you'll do
In your first year, you'll begin to develop your specialist photographic knowledge as we introduce you to a range of technologies and techniques. You'll examine critical photographic debates that are pertinent to your work. You'll also take part in a collaborative exhibition project.
- Practice - core skills development through practical projects
- Ways of seeing, taking and making - develop your critical analysis and professional fluency
- Practice - technologies, techniques, and modes of presentation
- lnquiry, theory and practice
With the fundamentals now familiar you'll be encouraged to work with increasing independence as you begin to develop your own unique photographic voice, live briefs and work placements support the development of your professional practice while also raising your level of technical skill.
- Portfolio Development - digital photographic assignments
- Ways of seeing, taking and making - key themes, ideas, and theories in contemporary practice
- Professional practice, technologies, and techniques - explore the commercial environment, from legal frameworks to live work placements
- Research project preparation - consolidate your critical and analytical skills
- Portfolio development - complete a major body of independent photographic practice
With improved confidence, a well-rounded skill set and a host of exciting ideas you will be ready to undertake both your final photographic portfolios and your dissertation.
- Photographic practice - development and final portfolios
- Public presentation audience and context - develop a presentation of your work, showcased during the Degree Shows
The multimillion-pound lnstitute of Photography offers facilities including:
- Large professional studios
- Black & white and color darkrooms and process areas
- Fully color-managed digital suites
- Film and paper processing facilities
- Digital training area with Adobe Creative Suite
- Professional printing and mounting services
- Photography store containing a wide range of equipment for loan
You'll be taught by a team of active practitioners, well known across the professional worlds of fine art photography, documentary, advertising, publishing, writing and curating. You'll also benefit from the network of visiting professionals who contribute to teaching and placements.
- Continuous assessment of visual, verbal and written assignments
- Live briefs throughout the course
- Final year portfolio
- Roles in post-production, picture research, media production, editorial or printing
- Roles in curating arts administration or publishing
- Portfolio career including teaching and postgraduate study
- Photographer: Cadbury, Big Sky Studios, Tate Gallery
- Curator: Midlands Art Centre
- Digital Retoucher
- Picture Editor
- Freelancer: assísting Rankin, Nadav Kander, Ray Massey
- Sub-editor: Monocle Magazine, London
- Exhibited at Photographers' Gallery London and LA Noble Gallery
About the School
Falmouth University is one of the UK's leading specialist arts institutions located on the stunning South West coastline of England, in one of the most beautiful, safe and creative regions in the UK. ... Read More