Pulse College is very excited to partner with Griffith College, Ireland’s largest independent third level institution, to deliver this brand new, unique and industry-focused BA (Hons) Degree in Audio and Music Technology.
Recording Studios, Live Venue’s, TV & Radio, Post-Production, Live Performance: It is now essential to be skilled in an array of disciplines to become successful in the audio industry.
It is with these various industry disciplines in mind that we have designed a new BA (Hons) Degree in Audio & Music Technology in partnership with Ireland’s largest independent third level institution, Griffith College.
Aimed at musicians, DJ’s, computer music hobbyists, and general lovers of music, this programme will train you with the skills required to succeed as a modern-day Audio Professional.
We will teach you how to record and produce music both in the home studio and in large recording studios. You will learn about live sound from both a performance and technical perspective.
The modern “studio engineer” can record, mix and master audio, but also help produce. Whether it is programming drum parts or string sections or even being on stage, performing with a band.
Please note you do not need to be a musician to be accepted onto this course but someone who is passionate and enthusiastic for all things music.
As with all our courses, hands-on experience is crucial to learning. This course is no different. Our students will be trained in Windmill Lane Recording studios and will also be required to put on live shows and performances throughout the duration of the course.
WHY STUDY MUSIC TECHNOLOGY AT PULSE COLLEGE?
- This course is taught by passionate Industry Professionals
- Students will have access to State of the Art Facilities – including access to the iconic Windmill Lane Recording Studios
- The curriculum is taught to international industry standard
- Guest Industry talks and lecturers
- Use of industry relevant software applications
- Pulse College is an Apple Logic Pro Certified Centre and Avid Pro Tools Centre
- 24-hour studio access
- Become a member of our Creative Community – Pulse College offer courses in film production, game design and animation
DETAILED COURSE CONTENT
- Music Technology 1
- Applications Technology 1
- Recording Studio Principles
- Music for Producers
- Live Music & Performance Technology 1
- Computer Basics for AV workstations
- Sound Reinforcement 1
- Sound Design & Foley FX
- Online Portfolio
- Music Technology 2
- Applications Technology 2
- Music for Producers 2
- Recording and Mixing 1
- Live Music & Performance Technology 2
- Research and Presentation
- Sound Reinforcement 2
- Sound Design and Creative Processing
- Client Project 1
- Mixing and Mastering
- Professional Practice
- Studio Design & Setup
- Recording and Mixing 2
- Audio Post Production Techniques
- Sound Design for Games
- Client Project 2
In line with national policy, graduates from the level 8 programme would be eligible to progress to postgraduate programmes at level 9.
Graduates may wish to further extend their industry-based professional qualifications as new technologies and developments emerge.
This course is a direct application course and involves an interview. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will contact you to schedule your course interview.
Please see specific information on the course requirements below:
Irish Citizen Under 23 Years of Age
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview and achieving a minimum of 2x H5s (H5 = 50 – 60% in a Leaving Certificate Higher Level subject)
Minimum of 4x O6/H7s (O6 = 40 – 55% in a Leaving Certificate Ordinary Subject / H7 = 30-40% in a Leaving Certificate Higher Level subject).
To include a minimum O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Mathematics and either Irish or English. Or: To achieve a minimum of 3 distinctions and the full award in a FETAC Level 5/6 or HETAC Level 7 in Music/Media.Or: a Minimum of 2 Grade C A Levels as well as 4 subjects from either A levels (Grades A-E) or GCSE (Grades A, B or C). Or NVQ Level 3 in Music/Media or similar.
Irish Mature Student over 23 Years of Age
Students over the age of 23 years of age on 1st January of the year of the course is classified as a Mature Student. Mature applicants are advised to apply directly through the college website. Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview. Applicants will be asked for a detailed CV. Applications should be made before the 31st August the year of the course.
International Student Living Abroad or in Ireland
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview. International Students below the age of 23 years of age will be required to submit High School Diploma Scripts and any additional Education Certifications. For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper-based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
- Computer-based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
- Internet-based 90 with a written score of 21.
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.
General Course Requirements
- A proven interest in audio and/or music technology, and to display some interest in related creative media arts
- Basic knowledge of computers (Mac/PC, and audio software): helpful but not essential
Note: Applications from individuals with non-standard qualifications, relevant work or life experience will also be considered.
This course requires an interview as part of your applications. Please see the FAQ’s below for commonly asked questions regarding the interview process.
Where do the interviews take place?
The interviews are held in:
Windmill Lane Recording Studios,
20 Ringsend Road,
How long will the interview be?
The interview will be typically 20–30 minutes long.
What should I bring?
If you could please bring:
- A copy of your C.V. that includes results of any music exams/tests you have completed to date. It should also include details of any groups/associations you have been a member of. It should also list your hobbies/interests
- If you have a portfolio of work, please bring that too; CD is the preferred format, and it should include no more than four pieces. These pieces should demonstrate your abilities as a musician, composer or producer (or all three!). Please note this is not a mandatory requirement
- A copy of your passport/drivers licence
- A copy of any previous education transcripts and certificates
Is there a music test?
No, there will be some questions about music. You won’t be asked to play an instrument. This takes place in a chatty, comfortable atmosphere. We will also ask you to discuss your influences in relation to producers, composers, etc.
How many people will be interviewing me?
The panel typically comprises 2-3 people.
Apart from the minimum requirements, what do they generally look for in a candidate?
Successful candidates have a strong, proven interest in this area. They are passionate about music and are prepared to work very hard towards their goals.
Total Course Fee Per Year
- €8,415 per year (3 years duration)*
- [2% PFL Charge of €165 included in Total Fee Per Year]
Flexible Payment Option
- Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
- Enrolment Fee: €3,500 (payable by September)
- Instalments: 4 monthly payments of €1028.75 (Oct – Jan)
International Student Fee Per Year
- EU Student Living Abroad: €9,357 per year (3 years duration)*
- Non-EU Student Living in Ireland: €12, 295 per year (3 years duration)*
- Non-EU Student Living Abroad: €12, 295 per year (3 years duration)*
2% PFL Charge is included in all of the total course fees above. This charge is incurred to finance arrangements required under Part 6 of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act, 2012 to ensure the protection of enrolled learners.
*Please note that a Registration Fee of €250 is applicable each academic year in addition to the fees quoted above.
Please contact us to find out more about our Flexible Payment options.
About the School
Established in 1990, Pulse College provides the highest standards of professional training courses in audio, music, film, gaming and animation. With courses designed and delivered by experienced worki ... Read More