- A unique course that combines management knowledge and skills with maritime practices, leading to highly employable and flexible graduates.
- The only business-shipping course in Greece accredited by the UK C.M.I. (Chartered Management Institute).
- Recently updated content (2017), putting emphasis on International Markets and Logistics.
- Collaboration with the Norwegian-German Classification Register D.N.V. G.L. so that students acquire professional certifications along with their degree.
- Integrated plan for developing students’ employability skills (MC Employability Scheme).
Shipping is a constantly developing industry and one of the most vibrant in the Greek economy. The BA (Hons) Business Management (Shipping) is a unique programme that aims to apply management theory in the maritime business environment. The programme helps students comprehend the fundamental principles of shipping so as to be able to adjust and keep up with the constant changes. It offers a comprehensive overview of the maritime sector and goes into more detail in areas such as logistics, maritime law and chartering. At the same time, the course assists participants to develop core management knowledge and cultivate transferrable skills that can be applied to any business environment, thus making graduates more employable and flexible to work in any industry.
Email a picture or scan of your school or univeristy transcipt for quick entry evalauation: email@example.com
The programme is addressed to High School graduates who want to build a career in shipping. Entry Requirements:
- High School leaving certificate (Apolyterion) from a General or Vocational Senior High School (or equivalent)
- Reference Letter (1)
- Adequate knowledge of English (IELTS 4.5 or equivalent) *
- Academic Interview
- Photos (2)
- ID-Card/ passport
*The level of English required for the English-taught programme is equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or B2. Candidates without official English language certificates can sit the English language placement test of Mediterranean College.
Holders of Vocational Training Institutes (IEK) Diplomas or Higher National Diplomas (HND), students of Technological (TEI) or Higher Education Institutions (AEI) of relevant fields may be admitted to an advanced stage of the course, upon a Recognition of Prior Learning procedure. They need to additionally submit:
- Diploma and/or academic transcript
- Programme Handbook (if available)
Structure & Content
This course comprises 20-credit modules, most of them being delivered on a semester basis, while a few are year-long modules. About two-thirds of the course is about core economics and management theory, essential for careers in any business environment, while one third focuses on shipping. The highlight of the programme is the 40-credit consultancy project in the final year, where students put into practice everything they have learned from a real-life shipping company. Modules of Year 1 are delivered and assessed in Greek; modules of Year 2 are delivered and assessed in Greek and English; modules of Year 3 are delivered and assessed in English. (Note: this course is also delivered entirely in English).
We take a ‘scaffolded’ approach to learning, so you’ll have full support in the early stages of your course and can gradually move towards stronger understanding and greater independence. It’s a smooth transition to ease your way into both university-level study and management practice. All Business Management students study the same modules in the first year so you’ll gain insights into the major business disciplines applicable to any industry sector. After your first year, if you have changed your mind, you can choose to transfer to our core Business Management programme or to one of our specialist pathways, combining Business Management with Marketing or Finance.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Understanding People in Organisations||Quantitative Skills for Business||Global Business and Strategy|
|Understanding the Global Business Environment||Principles of Responsible Management||Maritime & Commercial Law|
|Business Economics||Maritime Geography & Economics||Developing Leadership and Management|
|Finance and Business Performance||Applied Operations Management||Shipping & Chartering|
|Developing an Enterprising Mindset||Managing People||The Business Consultancy Project|
|Marketing Fundamentals||Ports & Logistics||The Business Consultancy Project|
|English I||English II|
Teaching & Learning
Teaching & learning incorporates formal lectures, sometimes involving guest speakers; tutor-led and student-led seminars; one-to-one and small group tutorials; work experience projects; work-related learning; self-directed study; internship opportunities; and video discussions with the University of Derby students. By stage three, you are expected to be more in charge of your own learning, with module tutors advising and directing your studies.
Business simulations, topical case studies, employer-led projects and business games – all provide practical scenarios in which to test your ideas and hone your problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills. The course culminates in a live consultancy project with an employer, where you will harness your research and project management skills to improve business performance.
You will benefit from an innovative variety of assessment modes. Assessment is mainly via coursework which can take forms such as traditional essays and reports, group project work, research and consultancy projects, presentations, posters, and design of digital materials. There are also in-class tests and computer-based assessments.
We encourage and support you to take an optional internship to acquire the experience which will set you apart in the graduate employment market. You will further enhance your student learning experience by attending the Business School’s activities (such as the Student Excellence Conference, open lectures, etc).
Why choose this course
- The University of Derby ranks among the TOP-50 UK Universities (Guardian University Guide 2017).
- This course is unique in nature, as it combines core management theory with shipping industry practices, making students flexible to seek employment either in shipping companies or in any other business.
- Mediterranean College works with the Norwegian-German Classification Register DNV GL, giving students the opportunity to acquire highly sought-after certifications such as the Internal Auditor ISM-ISPS-MLC for Shipping Companies.
- It is the only undergraduate business programme with a shipping focus in Greece to be accredited by the UK Chartered Management Institute (C.M.I.).The C.M.I. accreditation offers important benefits:
- It ensures that the programme teaches what employers need!
- Students – along with their Degree – they receive a well-respected diploma, the Level 5 Diploma in Business Administration from C.M.I. (with no further exams).
- Students will register with C.M.I. as Affiliate Members and have access to the digital C.M.I. library, newsletters and events.
- Students will be assigned a mentor (member of C.M.I.) from whom they’ll receive personal guidance and support in employment prospects.
- This course is flexible. Students are introduced to all business functions in the first year of studies and after that, they have the ability to either continue with the Shipping pathway or shift to the generic Business Management route, Marketing or Finance
- The programme is delivered in both Greek and English so that students are gradually and smoothly introduced to studying in English. English lessons are provided during the 1st and 2nd year of study, specially designed to cover terminology and to help students meet the requirements of the English-taught part of the programme (students, therefore, do not need additional English tuition). Students receive the support of the College’s English Department throughout their studies. As graduates of a UK University (being taught in English), they certify their English as a foreign language competence at a Proficiency (C2)
- Students on this course can undertake an optional internship in one of the partner shipping corporations within the Business School’s wide industry network.
- Students are taught and assessed in different, innovative ways not only through lectures and exams (labs, case studies, guest lectures, company visits). Assessment is creative and professionally orientated, based on written coursework and projects. The student learning experience is further enhanced with the Business School’s activities.
- Mediterranean College gives particular emphasis on the academic support of undergraduate students: a personal tutor is assigned to every student; lecturers are available at office hours; students with difficulties may use the services of the counselling and learning support centre; students receive regular feedback on their academic progress; students have full access to the College’s libraries and electronic resources.
- All academic staff is accredited lecturers of the University of Derby for every module they teach. Mediterranean College implements an integrated system of recruitment, assessment and continuing professional development of academic staff so that students receive excellent teaching and personal support to develop their social and professional skills.
- Business School students actively participate in activities organized within the MC Employability Scheme, the College’s integrative employability development plan.
- Mediterranean College Business School is one of the first and leading private business schools established in Greece (1977).
Further Study & Career
The programme graduates, according to the Greek law, are holders of an accredited university degree, professionally equivalent to those awarded by Greek State Technological or Higher Education Institutions. If they wish so, they can have their degree recognized by the Greek authorities. After successfully completing the course, graduates may continue for a Master’s degree at Mediterranean College or at overseas universities. Alternatively, they can seek employment. BA (Hons) holders may attend the following Master programmes offered by Mediterranean College:
- ΜΒΑ Global
- MBA Global Finance
- MSc Marketing Management
Alternatively, they can specialize in certain fields by attending selected accredited CPD courses offered by Mediterranean Professional Studies:
- Leadership & Human Resources Management
- Finance for Small & Medium Businesses
- Digital & Social Media
- Global Operations & Logistics
- Hotel & Tourism Management
- Health Management
- Sports Management
Graduates who choose to enter the labour market will be able to assert positions in the maritime industry or in any business environment or develop their own business in Greece or abroad. In specific, they can build their career in:
- Passenger or freight shipping companies
- Transportation & logistics enterprises
- Banks & other financial services
- Services (technology, education, consulting, etc.)
- Industrial production companies
- Retail & other commercial businesses
- Non-governmental organisations
About the School
Being the first private College to be founded in Greece back in 1977, the Mediterranean College prides for its pioneering initiatives that have shaped private, higher education in Greece.