The BA(TCSL) program aims to graduate students who have the following attributes:
- Perform a mediating role between theory and practice in teaching Chinese as a second language with demonstrative knowledge in classroom organization, curriculum development, textbook design, and language assessment;
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the Chinese language and develop high proficiencies in Chinese and English in both oral and written skills;
- Exhibit the ability to communicate effectively with speakers from various cultural regions, plus analytical skills to issues and concerns in language use in the context of multilingualism and globalization; and
- Improve as critical thinkers with high moral and ethical standards and reflective learners who can always self-improve through life-long practice.
The BA(TCSL) program offers a “Chinese Language Strand” to its senior year entrants. Upon completion of this strand, students will be recognized by the Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR) as graduates of a Chinese major degree. They will be eligible for Specialized Teaching under the current government policy and can further apply for local Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programs. This “Chinese Language Strand” is exclusively for the BA(TCSL) senior year entrants.
Note: The title “Chinese Language Strand” will appear in students’ academic transcript upon successful graduation.
In addition, “Chinese Language Strand” aims to equip students with:
- comprehensive subject knowledge in the Chinese language (including Phonetics, Semantics, Grammar, Etymology, etc.) and the latest approaches in L2 acquisition and child language development; and
- the awareness of interpreting issues related to phenomena in language use and language learning by using knowledge of Chinese language, literature and culture.
Program Structure (for Senior Year Entrants)
|Domain||Credit Points (cps)|
|Electives (including Strand)||15 cps|
|Field Experience||3 cps|
|University ePortfolio||3 cps|
|General Education/Language Enhancement/Experiential Learning||3 cps|
|Final Year Project||6 cps|
Language Exit Requirement
Students admitted to the BA(TCSL) program with a normal study period of two years will be exempted from the Language Enhancement Courses and Language Exit requirements.
Information Technology Competency Requirements in Education (ITCE)
To demonstrate the attainment of ITCE, students are required to pass all the required courses in the Programme and to complete the IT e-Portfolio Checking before graduation.
Career Prospects/Professional Qualifications
The BA(TCSL) program aims to produce graduates with high Chinese and English proficiency, who possess solid subject knowledge for their career in teaching Chinese to non-Chinese students in public schools, local/overseas international schools, kindergartens, or other education agencies. The concentration on professional knowledge in TCSL and the diversity of graduates’ career opportunities distinguish BA(TCSL) from similar programs currently offered by local and non-local universities in the domain of Chinese Studies.
Graduates may apply for local PGDE programs or overseas qualified teaching programs when they plan the career to be a Chinese teacher.
About the School
The Education University of Hong Kong is a publicly funded tertiary institution dedicated to the advancement of teaching and learning, through a diverse offering of academic and research programmes on ... Read More