This co-terminal double degree programme aims to prepare students:
- to become effective school teachers or other professionals who have a good command of the knowledge and skills in Language Studies; and
- with positive work attitude and good interpersonal skills.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will receive two degrees with a single honours classification and one parchment and a qualified teacher status (QTS) in primary and secondary schools.
||Credit Points (cps)
|Discipline Studies Major
|Basic Research Methods
|Final Year Project
|Overseas Immersion Programme
Note: Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.
There are two majors, namely, Education Major and Discipline Studies Major, in this programme. Discipline Studies Major is about language studies. Education Major focuses on theories and practices in English language teaching. It will cover both primary and secondary school settings as BA(Lang Studies) & BEd(EL) programme is a cross-sectoral programme.
To support the English language development of every student, he or she will:
- be assigned an academic advisor;
- undertake two mandatory English language enhancement courses in Year 1;
- undertake the optional International English Language Testing System (IELTS) preparation courses;
- participate in a compulsory overseas immersion programme and to live and study in an English-speaking country; and
- study courses with specific objectives for language improvement.
Students are required to participate in Field Experience (FE), where they observe classes and practise teaching in primary and secondary schools:
- FE Foundation Course
- FE and Professional Learning Portfolio I
- FE and Professional Learning Portfolio II
- Block Practice I
- FE Semester
Important Note: The University will ask students of our full-time teacher education programmes (e.g. Bachelor of Education programmes) to declare whether they have been convicted of or are being prosecuted for any sex-related offence in Hong Kong or elsewhere, and to provide relevant details prior to undertaking teaching practice. Such information may be released to their placement schools. The University reserves the right not to allow these students to attend the block teaching practice. If so, they won't be able to meet the graduation requirements of the programmes.
Career Prospects/Professional Qualifications
Majoring in English with in-depth academic and professional knowledge, graduates of the programme will have excellent career prospects. They will become fully qualified teachers of English who can teach in both local primary and secondary schools with the following skills and qualifications.
- Qualified Teacher Status in Hong Kong;
- Very high English language proficiency; and
- Ability to help students learn English as a second language effectively in Hong Kong primary and secondary schools.