School of Mining and Geosciences
Nazarbayev University’ School of Mining and Geosciences (NU SMG) aims to train future leaders and experts in the earth sciences. NU SMG is determined to further scientific knowledge and be a pacemaker of technological advancements through research and teaching. Our mission is to be renowned as a leading school of earth science and research all over the world.
NU SMG mines natural resources in a safe and sustainable manner and satisfies international safety standards for resource exploitation, ensuring the well-being of the domestic and international environment.
The school currently offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the following fields:
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
The School of Mining and Geosciences maintains strategic partnerships with local and international companies and universities, such as the Colorado School of Mines, a United States’ research university.
About the program
Hydrocarbons continue to be the world’s leading energy source that drives modern civilization. Kazakhstan is among the largest oil-producing countries in the world. Kazakhstan is also a transit country for oil and gas pipeline exports to China – the world’s largest importer of oil and gas.
BSc in Petroleum Engineering program offers an exciting career in the oil and gas industry. Petroleum engineers are responsible for producing hydrocarbon resources from oil and gas reservoirs. They are capable of addressing and solving important technological challenges, which will ultimately lead to energy security and socio-economic success.
This challenging and rewarding field of engineering requires the creative application of a wide spectrum of knowledge, including, but not limited to geology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and environmental science. Hydrocarbons continue to be the world’s leading energy source that drives the modern civilization. Kazakhstan is among the largest oil-producing countries in the world.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 4 years
- Total ECTS credits: 240
- IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or TOEFL iBT – 79-93 or TOEFL PBT* – 574-599;
- SAT Subject Test – Math and Physics with at least 600 in each subject;
- SAT Reasoning Test with Essay 1240. An essay is required, no minimum score
- ACT – composite score not less than 27. Writing part is required, no minimum score
*Not less than 30 for the total score and 4, 4, 5 for 3 subjects of High Level (IB Diploma)
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- Petroleum Industry – Oil companies hire geologists for sedimentology, stratigraphy, structural geology, geophysics, basin modeling, geochemistry, reservoir diagenesis, etc.
- Mining industry – Exploration and mining geologists, working for the mining industry must have competencies in economic geology, mineralogy, petrology, structural geology, etc.
- Environmental companies and water resource agencies – These companies and agencies mostly seek hydrogeologists and geochemists.
- Academics – Carry out scientific research in a university or a research center.
Colorado School of Mines
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More