School of Sciences and Humanities
The academic staff at Nazarbayev University’s School of Sciences and Humanities comprises scholars with doctoral degrees from leading universities around the world. We also have researchers involved in various studies, and our scientists in the natural sciences conduct researches in about 90 laboratories. Some of our faculty members even specialize in Eurasian studies. Admitted students of NU SSH can rest assured of tapping from our faculty’s wealth of knowledge and experience, both inside and outside the classroom.
We keep our classes small so students can readily receive one-on-one attention from their instructors. Moreover, instructors can tailor classes to the need of each student for the best learning experience owing to our student-centered learning. Our professors can work with the weaknesses of every student and improve their strengths. Laboratory experience and research involvement are not spared from this approach: our students get practical laboratory experience and collaborate with their colleagues or their professors in researches.
About the program
The Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences program comprises both state-of-the-art theoretical and hands-on laboratory courses in modern areas of the biological and biomedical sciences and technology including but not limited to, cell and molecular biology, bioinformatics, cell, recombinant, microscopy and imaging technologies, molecular genetics, microbiology, immunology, neurosciences, and various others.
The integrated teaching, research, and innovation approach provide outstanding preparation for careers in research, academia, medicine, industry, and related fields. Biological Sciences graduates, who have taken advantage of their elective choices, can find work in different fields related to economy, education, environment, and health. In these fields, they can grow into senior positions in either scientific/technical or non-technical areas.
Until now about two-thirds of graduates with a BSc in Biological Sciences were admitted to Medical Doctor, Master of Science, or Master of Public Health programs at Nazarbayev University School of Medicine. About 10% of graduates pursued graduate education at reputable foreign institutions in Europe, North America, Japan, Singapore, and Korea. The remaining graduates chose to enter other graduate programs at Nazarbayev University including our Master of Science program in Biological Sciences and Technologies or were offered jobs.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 4 years
- Total ECTS credits: 240
As per NU policy and Bologna guidelines, the undergraduate degree program requires a minimum of 240 total ECTS credits. Apart from Biological and Chemical courses, students have to take a couple of courses from other disciplines during 1st to 3rd years of study like Kazakh language and History of Kazakhstan courses, Calculus, Programming for Scientists and Engineers course, etc. A full program outline can be found on the School’s website. Some courses may change from year to year.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score)
- TOEFL IBT – 79-93 (Reading – no less than 13, Listening – no less than 12, Speaking – no less than 18, Writing - no less than 21)
- TOEFL PBT – 574-599
- SAT Subject Test – Chemistry and Biology with at least 600 in each subject;
- SAT Reasoning Test – no less than 1240. An essay is required, no minimum score
- ACT – composite score no less than 27. Writing part is required, no minimum score
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- Continue education in Graduate and Post-graduate programs in areas of life sciences, medical sciences, or public health;
- Work in areas of a biological technician, research assistant, scientific laboratory technician, etc.
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More