Sport & Event Management Bachelor of Science
Be a key player, not just a spectator: manage sportspeople, plan events, and stir emotions
Few industries inspire as many people as the sports and events sector. With the Soccer World Cup and music festivals now celebrated as major events, and sports clubs such as Real Madrid developing into large corporations, sports, and events businesses are not only becoming more exciting but also increasingly lucrative. A degree in Sport & Event Management from the University of Applied Sciences Europe will enable you to play an active role in shaping this vibrant industry.
On this bachelor program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe, you will develop management and leadership skills in sports and events management, business administration, economics, and basic law. Our distinguished lecturers are from both academic and professional backgrounds. You will even have the opportunity to actively shape your studies and career path. Depending on your personal career goals, you can select your own specializations and choose from a range of interdisciplinary subjects.
You can also, for example, opt to specialize in Soccer Management.
We place great importance on ensuring our students gain hands-on experience during their studies. This is why our course content always incorporates the latest developments in the sports and events industries. As part of your studies, you will design, plan, and organize your own events. You will benefit from individual support in small learning groups and an informal atmosphere. Our wide range of practice-oriented projects with leading event partners and sports clubs (such as ALBA Berlin and Real Madrid), international field trips (for example to Silicon Valley), semester abroad, and internships provide you with the best preparation for the future job market. The invaluable soft skills you will acquire in workshops will further improve your career prospects and qualify you for a management role.
- Early Bird: Apply before 30th of June and get a discount of 10% on your first semester for WS19.
- Study program: Sport & Event Management (B.Sc.)
- Degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
- Language: German (Berlin, Hamburg & Iserlohn), English (Berlin)
- Number of semesters: 6 (3 years)
- Semester abroad: 4th semester
- Program start date: Winter semester: September
- Credit points: 180 ECTS
- Options for specialization:
- Soccer Management (specialization)
- Customer Relationship Management
- Digital Business
- Highlights: Learn with distinguished lecturers from both academic and business backgrounds. Optimize your career prospects with a choice of specializations, practical projects, field trips, semester abroad, and internships. Focus on individual development in small groups and an informal atmosphere.
- Tuition fees EU applicants: €8,940 yearly. Non-EU applicants: €11,340 yearly
What makes it outstanding to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe
At the University of Applied Sciences Europe, you will study in small seminar groups. This guarantees you individual support and personal contact with your professors. All our lecturers are distinguished experts in their fields and you will be able to benefit from their business networks even during your studies.
The wide range of interdisciplinary subjects offered allows you to shape and enhance your study program. As a particularly practice-oriented university, we guarantee state-of-the-art facilities and cooperate with prestigious sports clubs, such as Union Berlin, Real Madrid, and ALBA BERLIN. The study program also includes an internship and/or a semester abroad.
The University of Applied Sciences Europe is state-accredited, has received several awards, and is a world leader in international orientation. We are also ranked by U-Multirank as one of the top ten performers in the Business Studies category in universities in Germany in 2018.
Applicants to our programs do not require specific minimum grades (NC-free).
The program - courses, internships, and semester abroad
As a student on the Sport & Event Management program, you will learn how to manage professional events: from conception and planning to implementation and evaluation. You will gain an understanding of event processes and formats in both recreational and professional sports. You will also acquire a comprehensive understanding of business administration in order to prepare you for the demands of the business world.
You will continuously expand your knowledge through practical projects. In addition, you have the opportunity to specialize in Soccer Management at an early stage. During your semester abroad, you will study at a prestigious partner university and have the chance to add an international perspective to your professional profile.
The following optional modules are offered as part of the Sport & Event Management program:
- Customer Relationship Management
- Public Relations
- Soccer Marketing
- Digital Business
- International Management
- Corporate Management
- Automotive Management
Your career options with a degree in Sport & Event Management
With a degree in Sport & Event Management, you will have the expertise required to manage events of all sizes: from conception to realization. These are valuable competencies in almost any sector. Thanks to your diverse practical experience gained throughout your studies, you will have had the opportunity to interact with decision-makers from businesses and professional sports organizations from an early stage.
Typical areas of work for Sport & Event Management graduates include:
- Sports marketing and communications
- Events marketing
- Sponsorship and PR
- Roles in marketing and events departments of companies
- Roles in sporting goods companies, sports clubs, or associations
- Management for commercial sports providers
- Trade fairs and congresses
- City marketing
Specialization in Soccer Management
The key innovative feature of this program is the optional specialization in Soccer Management. Developed in cooperation with prestigious European partner universities in Madrid, the program enables you to focus on a specific sector at an early stage in your studies. This will give you a significant advantage when you embark on your career in the world of soccer.
The first two semesters focus on Soccer as Sport, Soccer as Business, and the Principles of Soccer Management. The following topics are addressed:
- Taking Germany as an example, how is professional soccer organized?
- What role does FIFA play in world soccer?
The 5th & 6th semesters are all about Soccer Marketing:
- Which special features should be considered in soccer marketing?
- How can I manage a brand like Borussia Dortmund?
- What role do fans and fan culture play?
- How do I deal with sponsors?
Students talk about their studies at #uestories
“You’re young. Do what you really enjoy! The University of Applied Sciences Europe will open many doors for you, you just have to be prepared to walk through them.”
Daniel is studying Sport & Event Management at Campus Hamburg and has experienced how studying can lead to the perfect job.
How to apply for a Bachelor Degree
If you start the program with false expectations, you run the risk of being disappointed or losing precious time. For this reason, we fully inform our applicants and have a rigorous selection process to try to find out how well the University of Applied Sciences Europe is suited to you. Only if we are convinced that you have the requirements to complete your studies successfully with us do we then offer you admission. And, equally, you should be sure about us.
You can apply a year in advance for your desired starting semester. The application deadline for the winter semester is August 15th (Non-EU: June 15th) and for the summer semester February 28th (Non-EU: February 28th). After these deadlines, there will be a waiting list procedure for available study places each semester. If you already have a valid student visa for Germany, you can apply within the official application deadline.
By the way: you can complete the entrance examination without having a high school diploma or equivalent, one year before you plan to start your studies. This gives you certainty one year before about whether you will be accepted to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe or not.
Please forward your application from now on for summer and winter semester 2019.
Students must meet the following requirements to qualify for a bachelor’s degree program:
- High school diploma or equivalent occupational diploma, incl. experience
- Entrance examination
- Personal interview
- IELTS — overall band score from 5.5
There is no limit to the number of students who can be admitted (numerus clausus).
- Your application: To apply, you must submit the completed online application form, your résumé, a cover letter (approx. 1 to 1.5 DIN A4 pages), plus your high school diploma qualifying you for university entrance.
- Application fee (only for non-EU citizens): In order to check your eligibility to study at UE and to start the application process we ask you to pay a one-time application fee of 50 €. Once this fee is received, we will further assess your application and will revert to you directly. Your payment can be processed here.
- Interview: If the members of our selection committee agree that you are a promising candidate, we will call you for an entrance examination followed by an interview. After this, we will tell you straight away if you have been accepted.
- Reservation fee (only for non-EU citizens): Once you are accepted as a student, you will be asked to pay a reservation fee of 3.000 €. The reservation fee is a one-time payment that will secure your spot and will be deducted from the total cost of the program. You can find more information about the fee here.
- Letter of admission: Once we have received your signed contract and the reservation fee of 3.000 € we will issue your letter of admission. This is mandatory for your visa application.
Tips on writing the covering letter
Confidence in the English language is essential for success in your studies. Thus, one purpose of the covering letter is to give us an idea of your language skills. Describe to us in one to one-and-a-half DIN A4 pages (font: Arial 12, single line spacing) why you are interested in the course you have chosen, why you would like to study at University of Applied Sciences Europe, and what your expectations are. You should also include in your covering letter any special characteristics or inspiring experience based on previous internships or work experience.
Entrance examination and interview
The entrance examination followed by an interview is the “practical part” of your application at the University of Applied Sciences Europe. The following gives you an idea of what to expect on the day:
The English language test is done online and consists of a variety of tasks that focus on grammar, spelling and vocabulary skills.
Should grammatical or linguistic deficits emerge, we recommend that you attend our English pre-course prior to beginning your studies.
Mental capacity test
This is similar to an IQ test. Your verbal, mathematical, and spatial intelligence is tested in a multiple-choice test lasting 105 minutes. In the verbal component, you must complete sentences, analogies, or put the correct terms together.
Your mathematical abilities are tested based on simple arithmetical tasks that can be solved on notepaper. You must do calculations with fractions, complete series of numbers, and insert arithmetic operators, all under time pressure.
Your figural-spatial intelligence is tested based on tasks such as recognizing 2D models of cubes, piecing together triangles or circles and identifying groups with the same patterns.
The personality test reveals a person’s motivation to succeed. Quizzing you about how you would behave in various professional and private situations demonstrates personality traits that, together, give a measure of your professional motivation to succeed. Some applicants thus discover personal strengths and weaknesses that often give pause for thought.
On the same day, after the tests, you will participate in an interview (either on-campus or online) with the program manager or a representative of the University of Applied Sciences Europe. In it, we first explain the results of the tests and inform you of the conditions, if any, you must meet before you commence your studies.
Then we discuss what you expect from your studies and your goals. You will also find out how we work, what’s important to us, and what we expect from our future students. The demands we place on our prospective students are considerable. For example, we stress analytical thought, social skills, verbal powers of expression, as well as goal orientation and an ability to cope with pressure. That said, we do not want to intimidate or overwhelm you – quite the contrary. All we ask of you is to show us who you are! Openness and honesty are more effective than clichés and putting on a persona.
About the School
Private and state-accredited: The University of Applied Sciences Europe (UE) educates tomorrow's designers and decision-makers in the areas of business, sports, media & event and art & design. ... Read More