The Management Department prepares students to manage resources, make informed decisions, and lead with integrity in a global environment.
No matter where you work—start-up, small business, corporate, government, non-profit—you need a set of critical management skills to be successful in today’s diverse global environment. We asked hiring managers and accomplished alumni what our students needed to thrive in their careers and created a program based on their input. As a result, Siena’s management program is relevant, engaging, and flexible. You will learn and practice skills that apply to the changing world: thinking like an entrepreneur, managing complex projects, communicating with confidence, energizing a team toward high performance and making informed decisions. You will learn to use your talents to serve not just your employer, but society as a whole. Finish our program and start your own company, work in the public or private sectors, join a not-for-profit or pursue graduate education. You’ll have the skills you need to succeed.
The Management Major at Siena College allows you to:
Prepare for the real world
Learn critical competencies that apply to any position in any organization. Gain additional expertise in an area of interest, such as leadership, entrepreneurship, international management, or human resource management. Develop a unique perspective on people, organizations, and the world by integrating your Franciscan and liberal arts education with the management competencies. And, learn to do your work while always working to make the world a better place.
Learn through experience
Participate in service learning, simulations, live cases, internships, in-depth research, student organizations, and more. Every management class includes opportunities to learn the key competencies through hands-on experiences.
Create a network
Interact with executives – in classes and beyond. They watch your presentations, read your reports, and provide feedback. Gain extensive knowledge of an organization through an internship or make connections by helping a start-up at the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Build an e-portfolio
Create and access your portfolio to track your progress, feature your best work, impress recruiters, and refer to on the job.
Study with accomplished faculty
Our faculty members are practicing scholars that have extensive real-world experience – CEOs, management consultants, board members, entrepreneurs, textbook authors, and a member of President Obama’s Advisory Board. Our emphasis is on excellent teaching and bringing reality to the classroom.
- Emphasis on six different management competencies: decision making and planning, innovation and entrepreneurship, teamwork and leadership, communications, human resource development and process/project management.
- Our faculty members are practicing scholars that have extensive real-world experience – CEOs, management consultants, board members, entrepreneurs, textbook authors, and a member of President Obama’s Advisory Board.
- Every management class includes opportunities to learn the key competencies through hands-on experiences such as service-learning, simulations and live cases.
- Flexible curriculum that allows each student to pursue their interest.
- Interaction with executives who work directly with students by evaluating presentations, reading reports and providing feedback on projects.
- Students build an e-portfolio to use when entering the job market.
Requirements for the Major (30 credits)
- MGMT113 - Business Communication 3 credits
- MGMT211 - Management 3 credits
- MGMT329 - Organizational Behavior 3 credits
- MGMT300 - Operations Management 3 credits
- MGMT332 - Human Resources Management 3 credits
- MGMT336 - Management Research Methods 3 credits
Twelve credits of Management electives, at least three of which must be a 400-level course. These can also include BUDV-305, BUDV-310, and BUDV-410. (12 credits)
- 100% of management majors have the opportunity to solve problems at Capital Region businesses before they graduate
- One in four say a Siena connection led to their first or current job
- The freshman retention rate is 81%
- 97% of recent graduates are employed or in graduate school
Recent Employers of our Graduates
- Coldwell Banker
- Golub Corp.
- Key Bank
- Interfaith Partnership for the Homeless
- Northwestern Mutual
- Starwood Hotels
- State Farm
- TD Ameritrade
Recent Internship Sites
- Albany Times Union
- Interfaith Partnership for the Homeless
- Madison Handbags
- Mazzone Hospitality
- New Jersey Nets
- Nielsen Company
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- Peter Harris Clothes
- Price Chopper
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Special Olympics New York
- The Ayco Company, L.P.
- Time Warner Cable News
- Tri-City Valley Cats
Job Titles of Recent Graduates
- Account Executive
- Benefits Analyst
- Business Owner
- Business Continuity and Crisis Management
- Executive Team Leader
- Office Manager
- Operations Group Leader
- Project Manager
- Sales Manager
- Sales and Marketing Associate
- Senior Group Leader
- Senior Human Resources Associate
- Web Developer