Central South University (CSU)is a comprehensive and national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education in China. The University is among the first group admitted into both Project 211, a project of building national key universities and colleges for the 21st century, and Project 985, a joint constructive project of building world-class universities co-sponsored by the Chinese central government and local governments.
CSU was established in April 2000 on the basis of the merger of the three former individual universities, namely Central South University of Technology (founded in 1952), Hunan Medical University (founded in 1914, currently named XiangYa School of Medicine) and Changsha Railway University (founded in 1953).
CSU is now led by President Yaoxue Zhang, who is the inventor of the first route in China, as well as an academician of the Chinese Engineering Academy. CSU covers an area of 3,810,000 square meters and has a total floor space of 2,330,000 square meters. CSU has 33800 full-time college students, 15796 graduate students, and about 1000 overseas students. CSU covers 11 fields of study, including engineering, science, medicine, management, literature, law, economics, philosophy, education, history and agriculture, and offers military science as well.
CSU has many distinguished disciplines. CSU is famous for the highest institution of nonferrous metal.The XiangYa Hospital of CSU enjoys a leading place in medicine and a world-renowned reputation as “North XieHe, South XiangYa”. CSU is also one of the birthplaces of high-speed railway transportation, where National Engineering Laboratory for High Speed Railway Construction is located.
1. Pure English Program
We have international classes in graduate program. All the courses are lectured in English, and Chinese language test-HSK is not required. So even if you know nothing about Chinese language, you have no difficulty in learning specialty courses.
2. High Teaching Quality
CSU is one of the top universities in China. It is also one of the "211" and “985” universities. There are 37 schools in China granted to be national pilot software engineering schools by Ministry of Education of China. We are one of the top 10 of them. Our senior lecturers come from all over the world and more than half of our lecturers have a strong software industry or overseas background.
3. Advanced Education Philosophy
Our career-oriented education philosophy is based on the most advanced engineering education principle – CDIO. Our education aims at the industrial demands and students' career, cultivating the comprehensive and practical talented personnel desired by industries, which can provide students an excellent start of their career.
4. Low Cost
The cost of study in China is much less than that in western countries. The tuition fee for an international undergraduate or a graduate student studying in CSU is about￥25,000 (around US$4,166) per year. And the tuition fee for an international Ph.D. student studying in CSU is about ￥ 30,000 (around US$5,000) per year, respectively.
5. Excellent Internship Opportunities
We have many partners from top-level IT companies including IBM, Microsoft, etc. The international students are prior to be recommended to these companies for one-year internship with salary. The internship will strengthen practice ability and technical skills, enhance teamwork spirit, and experience enterprise culture, which will lay a solid foundation for their future career.
6. Free learning of Chinese language and culture
We will assign a Chinese student as a partner and assistant for each international student. The international students will be assisted in both study and daily life. They can also learn the Chinese language and culture from the Chinese assistant for free.
7. Convenient Transportation
Hunan is located in the south-central of China, and the transportation is very convenient nowadays. You can get to most of the cities in China from Hunan within 2 hours by plane. The high-speed railway transportation is well-developed as well. It only takes about 6 hours to go to Beijing and Shanghai, about 2-3 hours to go to Guangzhou and Shenzhen by high-speed railway.
School of Software of Central South University was established in November 2002 and approved as a national model of Software School in January 2004 by the Ministry of Education of China.
The school offers one first-level master and doctoral discipline of software engineering, one full-time professional master’s degree and one engineering master’s degree in software engineering. The Bachelor’s program includes 3 Professional branches, which are large-scale software development and management, digital media technology, and embedded systems.
The school aims to educate students to become high-level, comprehensive, practical, and internationalized talents in computer software engineering. They should have excellent comprehensive quality, profession ethics, solid software engineering foundation and ability to solve problems. Our students have achieved a lot of awards in various competitions, such as ACM programming contest, International Mathematical Modeling Contest, English Contest, and software design contest. The employment rate of our major graduates is 100%, and 60% of them are employed by well-known IT companies in China.
School of Software Central South University Scholarship (SSCSU Scholarship)
SSCSU provides scholarship to foreign students
First Class Scholarship: 5%
- Bachelor Degree Student: RMB9000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB12000 per year (Program in English)
- Master Degree Student: RMB10000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB12000 per year (Program in English)
- Doctor Degree Student: RMB12000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB15000 per year (Program in English)
Second Class Scholarship: 15%
- Bachelor Degree Student: RMB6000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB8000 per year (Program in English)
- Master Degree Student: RMB7000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB8000 per year (Program in English)
- Doctor Degree Student: RMB8000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB10000 per year (Program in English)
Third Class Scholarship: 20%
- Bachelor Degree Student: RMB4000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB6000 per year (Program in English)
- Master Degree Student: RMB5000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB6000 per year (Program in English)
- Doctor Degree Student: RMB6000 per year (Program in Chinese), RMB70000 per year (Program in English)
a. Age Requirements
- Bachelor Degree Student: no more than 28 years old.
- Master Degree Student: no more than 35 years old
- Doctor Degree Student: no more than 45 years old
b. Language level requirement
Those apply English programs need English level certification. Those apply Chinese programs should pass the HSK level 4.
If the students fail in the exam during studying in CSU, or break the laws, or disobey the rules and regulations in CSU, the scholarship will be canceled automatically.
The scholarship is applied yearly.
Students can not apply the School of Software Scholarship and Chinese Government Scholarship at the same time. If the students successfully get the Chinese Government Scholarship, School of Software Scholarship can not be rewarded.
The money of the scholarship is used to pay the tuition, not given to the student directly. Other charges (the fees for VISA, insurance, physical examination, resident permission, accommodation etc.) are at student's own expenses.
Special Chinese Government Scholarship Program of China- America Cultural Exchange 2014
In order to implement “Study--in-China Plan”, and cooperate with American Government to achieve the goal of “Sending 100,000 Students to Study in China”, encourage China and America Universities to establish and deepen the cooperative relationship, Ministry of Education in China set up this special Chinese government scholarship program of China - America Cultural Exchange to attract more American young students to study in China in 2010.
A. Scholarship Categories
Scholarship for Master’s or doctor’s degree-study students: Full scholarship (offer tuition fee and extras, room fee, medical insurance fee and monthly living allowances from 1700—2000RMB)
Scholarship for Credit-study students: Partial scholarship (offer tuition fee and room fee.).
B. This scholarship to be offered to
1) Scholarship for degree-study is offered to American students with a degree of Bachelor or master , who want to study in China for Master or Doctor Degrees.
2) Scholarship for Credit-study is offered to American students who want to do credit study in China for 3 months or more, and American Universities will acknowledge the credits that are taken in China.
Applicants for degree-study Scholarship should apply and send the required application materials to our university by April 15th, 2014.
Applicants for credit-study Scholarship should apply and send the application materials to our university by June 15th, 2014.
1) Online application
2) Send the required application materials to the university
a. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (the printed online Application Form)
b. Transcript of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized photocopy) Diploma of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized photocopy)
c. Study or Research Plan in China （No less than 800 words）
d. Two Letters of Recommendation from professors, or universities
e. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Photocopy)
f. Copy of the passport
g. Application fee RMB 500 or USD 90.
Note: this application fee should be sent to the following account:
Account Name: Central South University, Account No: 584657350276
Opening Bank: Central South University Branch Bank, Bank of China, Changsha, Hunan, P.R. CHINA Swift: BKCHCNBJ970
Self-Enrollment Chinese Government Scholarship Project
For Foreign Postgraduates to Study at CSU in 2014
1) Enrollment Quota: 65 (including 5 for American students only)
2) Enrollment Categories: Master and PhD degree candidates
3) Status: Full scholarship students (offer tuition fee and extras, room fee, medical insurance fee and monthly living allowances from 1700—2000RMB)
4) Application conditions:
Excellent foreign graduates from key universities abroad,
No more than 35 years old for Master’s degree,
No more than 40 years old for PhD degree.
5) Application time: Feb.25, 2014 to April 15, 2014.
6) Application procedure
a) Online application
Agency Number of Central South University: 10533
b) Send the required application materials to the university
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship ( Two printed copies of the online Application Form)
- Transcript of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized photocopy) Diploma of the Most Advanced Studies (Notarized photocopy)
- Study or Research Plan in China （No less than 800 words）
- Two Letters of Recommendation from professors
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Photocopy)
- Copy of the passport
- Application fee RMB 500 or USD 90.
Note: this application fee should be sent to the following account:
Account Name: Central South University,
Account No: 584657350276
Opening Bank: Central South University Branch Bank, Bank of China, Changsha, Hunan, P.R. CHINA
This school offers programs in: