Bachelor of Applied Science (Psychology)
Psychology explores the science of the mind and human nature. You'll examine mental states and processes and how they affect human behaviour. You'll also gain strong theoretical and practical skills.
The psychology component of the degree is 25% of first year, 62.5% of second year and 62.5% of third year.
The remaining courses include occupational health and safety, nutrition and applied psychology, disability studies, health statistics, computer science and geography.
You'll study these foundation areas:
- biological bases of behaviour including brain behaviour relationships, sensation, perception and consciousness
- theories of learning, memory and cognition (including theories of intelligence)
- theories of emotion, motivation and stress.
And these principles of psychology:
- social psychology.
You'll study biological psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, research methods in psychology and social psychology.
The third year includes philosophy and methodology of psychology, psychological assessment and individual differences, psychology in society and organisations, psychopathology and models of intervention and a research project.
The electives are cross-cultural and organisational psychology, forensic psychology, psychology of gender or health and sport psychology.
Program entry requirements
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 or an equivalent senior secondary school qualification with a minimum average of 65%.
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Mathematics, Chemistry or Physics
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 6, 2016