The School of Arts and Sciences offers associate and baccalaureate degrees. Most of the General Studies core courses that are required for all degrees are taught in the School of Arts and Sciences. The General Studies curriculum is designed to prepare students to think logically, communicate clearly, solve problems, clarify values, function within a social institution, use science and technology, and appreciate art.
The School of Arts and Sciences is a learning/teaching community dedicated to OCU's mission: Oakland City University is a Christian faith-based learning community dedicated to the enhancement of intellectual, spiritual, physical, and social development for positive leadership.
The objectives of the School of Arts and Sciences are to:
- Provide a foundation in the humanities and sciences
- Provide aesthetic awareness
- Develop the ability to distinguish between objective and subjective approaches to methods of reasoning
- Develop an understanding of the uses of modern technology in the arts and sciences
- Provide a basis for advanced study
- Provide instruction within the context of a Christian university and a value-centered curriculum
1) Minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale from an accredited, approved, or commissioned high school
2) Minimum SAT score of 1250 or minimum ACT score of 19; OR
3) Minimum TOEFL score of 500 (paper based), 200 (computer based), or a minimum of 70 on the IBT and 6.5 on the IELTS (for students from non English speaking countries)